Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps this topic has been beaten to death but I'm asking anyway.

Recently sold my 848 evo and having regrets and withdrawals. Caught myself looking at some 1098s and was wondering, is the 1098s much more preferred than the base? Are the Ohlins forks and shock that beneficial for street riding? I'm still a novice and 848 was more than enough power. So for a weekend rider, does the extra money for an S make sense??

·
Registered
303 Posts
Perhaps this topic has been beaten to death but I'm asking anyway.

Recently sold my 848 evo and having regrets and withdrawals. Caught myself looking at some 1098s and was wondering, is the 1098s much more preferred than the base? Are the Ohlins forks and shock that beneficial for street riding? I'm still a novice and 848 was more than enough power. So for a weekend rider, does the extra money for an S make sense??

My $0.02.

It depends on how cheap you can get the 1098 or the 1098S for. The upgrades on the S are worth $, just depends on "how much" to you.

The forged wheels are lighter. Indeed it is a performance improvement with less rotational mass. Will you feel it on the street? Prob not.

The rear Ohlins shock is gold and looks neato! It is in desperate need of improvement, so if you upgrade because of this shock, it is a bad choice IMHO.

The Ohlins forks are bling-bling, and pretty decent, but once again, you could do a lot better. On the street, will you notice it? no. Your best bet would be to spring them right and get your suspension setup properly.

So IMHO if you could find a base 1098 for 8000 or pay 11000 for the S, i'd go 1098 for sure. If it is only $1000-$1500 more for the S, you need to see if its worth it to you personally. Beyond $1500 I wouldnt personally put the $ into it, I'd do the base and spend the $ to upgrade that.

All of this comes from a guy on a 1098S with lots of money invested.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
I say get another 848...it's a way better streetbike. I've owned 2 different 848's and and an 1198. I've had them all at trackdays, but my 1st 848 and my 1198 are streetbikes. The 848 is much better behaved at low speeds (which is what most around town riding is) than the 1198. My 1198 Corse is a great machine, don't get me wrong, but the dry clutch, the chugging and vibrations are way worse than the 848 Corse I had before.

Yes the 1198 is faster....but I've seen 160 on the speedo of my old 848 Corse!

As far as an S vs base model....I say get an S all day long. It may be more $$$, but it's way more sellable and worth more later....these bikes aren't new anymore, buyers will look for the special models as the bikes age more.

Good luck, any of these bikes are awesome to ride!!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Ride them both, see which one you prefer ..

The 1098S is worth the extra coin IMO, novice or not :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts