Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post. Hopefully one of the 1098 owners will step up with some advice. I want to add an Italian bike to the nest and the short list is base model 1098 or MV F4 1000 (2005 or 2006). Any thoughts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Hi there,

I just traded in my F4-1000R for a 1098S.

Except for the different engine caracteristics (Twin vs. 4 Cyl) I would suggest you buy the bike that you like most.

Both bikes have excellent finishing. Both have quality components.

If you like topspeed, buy the F4-1000R.

If you like the rumbling sound of a twin, buy the 1098.

GreetZ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Hi PET. I am very surprised that you sold your F4 R for the 1098 :stickpoke :confused: Why ?
About the quality lets talk the time and the kms to see if the paint, electric etc... are good quality. Don't forget that at this price, all components can not be top quality. Ohlins is ok, rims are ok but ...
Quality ? 998: yes. 999: yes (even with the electric problems for the first models) but 1098 ??? :confused:
I have a 998S and F4 but I am not so confident about the "cheap" 1098
Sorry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Hi.
> You have to know if you wanna ride on twin or 4Cyl.
> Your budget
> The design
It is to early to speak about the (cheap) 1098
998 or 999 are very good bikes. F4 S or F4 R are very good bikes as well.
I prefer the 998 because of the design and the riding position vs 999.
Riding position on the F4 is similar to the 998. F4 handling is far better that 998 and better that 999, engines are different.
Now, if you want the last gereration of technology, top looking, top performance, realibility, prestige I can only suggest you to go for F4 R
If you like the 1098 I will suggest you to wait for more info from users to be sure what you are paying for.
Good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
desmolight said:
I have a 998S and F4 but I am not so confident about the "cheap" 1098
Sorry
I don't know why you suggest "cheap" 1098S. I have my 1098S allready in my garage and I can tell you that the allround finish is very, very good.

GreetZ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
van-man said:
don't mind him... He's French. Everything is sh!t to them:rolleyes:
Obviously he's talking shit. I had for 5500€ ( = 7258$ ) of warranty issues in the 5,5 months that I owned a F4-1000R.

Some people see a bike at their dealer and read the specs in a brochure and think they know a bike. I'm bored by that kind'of posts...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Peet said:
I don't know why you suggest "cheap" 1098S. I have my 1098S allready in my garage and I can tell you that the allround finish is very, very good.

GreetZ
Don't take me wrong PEET. I have nothing against Ducati and the 1098 is a nice bike. Meaning "cheap" for me is "less expensive" that a 999. Do you remember the electric problems on the 999 2003 models ?
Components like the engine, the single swingarm, the forged rims, the dash cost more that on the 999. Even if the factory do less margin, they have to cut from somewhere else.
I wish all the best for this bike and only the time will tell us.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Peet said:
Obviously he's talking shit. I had for 5500€ ( = 7258$ ) of warranty issues in the 5,5 months that I owned a F4-1000R.

Some people see a bike at their dealer and read the specs in a brochure and think they know a bike. I'm bored by that kind'of posts...
I am sorry for your warranty issues. You had a "Monday bike" and I understand that you are disapointed.

By the way, I am importer in the Middle-East for some Italian brands of bikes and cars. Believe me, I don't need to go to visite a dealer to know the bikes. I handle with the factory directly.
I don't think that I know a bike (1098). I KNOW IT :yo: ...but I don't know it (1098) in one year!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Shut up Frenchie! What kind of an idiot comes to a site titled "Ducati 1098.net" and thinks he can call the 1098 cheap? You don't know sh!t; you just think you do because you're French!
The reason Ducati was able to achieve such a notable cost reduction is not because of decreased margin's, but because they have finally realized that in today's global economy it is foolish not to engage in responisble outsourcing. Its all about market specialization. Why the hell would Ducati want to saddle themselves with the cost of manufacturing those expensive all digital instrument panels when a company like Magneti Marelli is already set up for such a task? It just makes sense to utilize an outside company like that for both monetary reasons and quality reasons!

Just don't ever let me catch you selling to any of those F**king terrorist supporting Arabs or I'll make sure the bomb gets you too!

Sincerely,
Lt. "Van"
USAF
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
van-man said:
Shut up Frenchie! What kind of an idiot comes to a site titled "Ducati 1098.net" and thinks he can call the 1098 cheap? You don't know sh!t; you just think you do because you're French!
The reason Ducati was able to achieve such a notable cost reduction is not because of decreased margin's, but because they have finally realized that in today's global economy it is foolish not to engage in responisble outsourcing. Its all about market specialization. Why the hell would Ducati want to saddle themselves with the cost of manufacturing those expensive all digital instrument panels when a company like Magneti Marelli is already set up for such a task? It just makes sense to utilize an outside company like that for both monetary reasons and quality reasons!

Just don't ever let me catch you selling to any of those F**king terrorist supporting Arabs or I'll make sure the bomb gets you too!

Sincerely,
Lt. "Van"
USAF
Hummm... I see that you have a problem with France but it has nothing to do with me and Ducati !
Looks like you know more France that Ducati motorcycles !
It will be my last post with you van-man.
I have orders for the 1098 and the 1098S Tricolor and I rode the bike.
You never had a Ducati and the 1098 will be your first one and this is maybe the reason you speak more about my nationality instead of the 1098.
You have not enought fingers to count the years that I am on Ducati.
You talk about something (Ducati) and you never owned one.
You don't know me and you aggress me.
You are a kid.
I wish you a lot of fun with your bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
I agree with Peet re the finish and build quality. In most markets the 1000R is more expensive than the 1098S. I have ridden the 1000S and R MV,s and have owned the 750. My mates and I have owned 8 MV,s without any serious problems. I think Peet was unlucky.
The 1098 is more nimble, has better brakes and is quicker out of turns with superior traction. The 1000R is quite a bit faster especially at the top end. I think lap times will be similar except on long, fast tracks. We will see soon in World Superstock.
The best solution is to have both!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
:blah:
desmolight said:
Hummm... I see that you have a problem with France but it has nothing to do with me and Ducati !
Looks like you know more France that Ducati motorcycles !
It will be my last post with you van-man.
I have orders for the 1098 and the 1098S Tricolor and I rode the bike.
You never had a Ducati and the 1098 will be your first one and this is maybe the reason you speak more about my nationality instead of the 1098.
You have not enought fingers to count the years that I am on Ducati.
You talk about something (Ducati) and you never owned one.
You don't know me and you aggress me.
You are a kid.
I wish you a lot of fun with your bike
.
It's guaranteed ;)

Oh, and I know guys who've been "riding" motorcycles years longer than I've been alive and they still don't know sh!t about "riding"... understand?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
desmolight said:
Hi PET. I am very surprised that you sold your F4 R for the 1098 :stickpoke :confused: Why ?
About the quality lets talk the time and the kms to see if the paint, electric etc... are good quality. Don't forget that at this price, all components can not be top quality. Ohlins is ok, rims are ok but ...
Quality ? 998: yes. 999: yes (even with the electric problems for the first models) but 1098 ??? :confused:
I have a 998S and F4 but I am not so confident about the "cheap" 1098
Sorry
hi desmo, my 1098s feels better built than my 999s in terms of engine and gearbox. The brakes and wheels are also more expensive and up to date so why do you say 'cheap 1098'?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
desmolight said:
Don't take me wrong PEET. I have nothing against Ducati and the 1098 is a nice bike. Meaning "cheap" for me is "less expensive" that a 999. Do you remember the electric problems on the 999 2003 models ?
Components like the engine, the single swingarm, the forged rims, the dash cost more that on the 999. Even if the factory do less margin, they have to cut from somewhere else.
I wish all the best for this bike and only the time will tell us.
desmo, here in the U.K. the 1098s is exactly the same price as the 999s.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Hi Gossa. My English is not perfect and to me I understand for cheap>not expensive and not cheap>sh!t.
I never wrote that the 1098 is sh!t but cheap>not expensive as you can see of one of my previous post.
Please guys try to be more "soft" with my English like I will be with you if you write in French :stickpoke
Ok, in UK the 1098S price is same as the 999S. So, for the same price you get vs the 999S:
-More carbon
-Single swingarm
-Amazing dash (nice) :naughty:
-Forged rims
-bigger engine with new technology
It is very good that for the same price you get all of this and of course it is not sh!t...but nobody can say -no offense- how the bike will be in one year:
electric/electronic problems, cylinder head problems, dash, or no problems at all.
Like you wrote the best is to have the two bikes but I will wait and see.
I have already a 998S, F4 and why not to have a 1098.
What is the price of the 1098 and 999 in UK ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
desmolight said:
It is very good that for the same price you get all of this and of course it is not sh!t...but nobody can say -no offense- how the bike will be in one year:
electric/electronic problems, cylinder head problems, dash, or no problems at all.
Good to have the 2 year warranty ... just in case. Ducati must have some confidence if they give a 2 year warranty on every 1098. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Good to have the 2 year warranty ... just in case. Ducati must have some confidence if they give a 2 year warranty on every 1098. ;)
then again I have to pay 24000euro's (30k usd) for the 1098s ...... so lifetime warranty would be good ....
 
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Top