Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I have searched and checked different threads but does anyone have suggestions on how they wheelie their 1098 or what seems to work best? Ive been experimenting a bit but not sure to go with clutch (at slower speed) or power wheelie practice (faster but smoother). If there have been previous discussions on this, I apologize for not locating it but would love a link to read up on whats been the method of choice on the 1098. I would love to know how long most people practice before really getting the hang of it and what rpm's they rev to and what gears (1st or 2nd).

08 1098 Red

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
:popcorn:

Reactions: cbr6

·
Registered
15 Posts
You probly wont get much help with this , its kinda squid'ish . On some spirited rides I've come out of the corner in second rolled it open and it raises nice and easy . I've never tried clutching it but if you are slow at getting to the balance point you might need to clutch

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah I get that it may be "suid'ish" but if you are going to try something new, everyone needs to learn at some point and I have been riding three years and this is my first Ducati so I wanted to put some feelers out there and see what others technique is. Just want to learn from others that have "been there, done that" Thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
You probly wont get much help with this , its kinda squid'ish . On some spirited rides I've come out of the corner in second rolled it open and it raises nice and easy . I've never tried clutching it but if you are slow at getting to the balance point you might need to clutch

Yeah ok. What he means is its kinda beyond most of the latte sipping crowd on this forum and you won't get much help with this because 99% of this teeter round on 4 inch chicken strips shopping for carbon parts.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Yeah ok. What he means is its kinda beyond most of the latte sipping crowd on this forum and you won't get much help with this because 99% of this teeter round on 4 inch chicken strips shopping for carbon parts.
Not sure where all the attitude is coming from...I love lattes, being on one wheel, and using all of my tire. They are not mutually exclusive. My personal opinion was that riding wheelies doesn't get talked about on this forum much because most everyone who rides these bikes can ride well and has been riding for a good number of years and with that has learn how to wheelie with little effort. Perhaps I am wrong on that assumption but with bikes like these that are so incredibly easy to wheelie it hardly seems worth discussing. 2 cents.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Not sure where all the attitude is coming from...I love lattes, being on one wheel, and using all of my tire. They are not mutually exclusive. My personal opinion was that riding wheelies doesn't get talked about on this forum much because most everyone who rides these bikes can ride well and has been riding for a good number of years and with that has learn how to wheelie with little effort. Perhaps I am wrong on that assumption but with bikes like these that are so incredibly easy to wheelie it hardly seems worth discussing. 2 cents.
If by "ride well" you mean to and from the coffee shop, you are spot on.

People don't talk about doing wheelies on their Ducatis much like they don't talk about racing them. Too many elitists thinking they are too good for it and the bikes are showpieces and not meant to ride.

Wheelies are a bit squiddish though. FWIW, mine came up great last time I did a race start and let the clutch out too quickly.

Reactions: diglet

·
Registered
339 Posts
Ok, so I have searched and checked different threads but does anyone have suggestions on how they wheelie their 1098 or what seems to work best? Ive been experimenting a bit but not sure to go with clutch (at slower speed) or power wheelie practice (faster but smoother). If there have been previous discussions on this, I apologize for not locating it but would love a link to read up on whats been the method of choice on the 1098. I would love to know how long most people practice before really getting the hang of it and what rpm's they rev to and what gears (1st or 2nd).

08 1098 Red
I ride everday (SoCal); 70-100 miles a day and the only time I have ever gotten the wheel up is by accident going from 1st-2nd. I dont track my bike or stunt it. But I do enjoy watching other people do it on theirs.

It is a show piece but it deserves to be ridden as well. Plus it is my first bike and only bike. Love it!

08 1098 Yellow

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
It is really easy to wheelie the 1198. It happens every time I go out and ride it. It will wheelie into 4 gear if you have enough throttle on it. It happens whenever I come out of a turn and get to heavy on the throttle. If you want to wheelie it all you have to do is snap the throttle in first gear and it will come right up. Just be careful as the bike has enough power to flip you off (any litter bike has enough power to flip you off in first gear).

Have fun and be safe!!

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
look at it this way.....go to the Zonda site, and ask how to do burnouts and ralfy-rollbacks
....see how the latte tastes with them.
That said, the 1098 power wheelies easily in the first 4 gears....but if you care about the money you spent on the front end, dont bother.
The real trick is keeping the front down

Reactions: RNJ12 and sixfive

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think I just respect the the bike a ton and what it is capable of so I have just not been "getting into the bike" as far as dumping clutch and power goes. Heck Ill never be able to ride this thing to the limits anyhow but that being said, being comfortable standing this bike up is where I want to be one day and would enjoy being able to do that with ease. Thanks for everyones input!

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
No clutch needed on either my Hyper or 1098. Just roll that throttle open a bit more aggresively at around 4000rpm in first, second or third and it comes up smooth and easily. Plenty of torque available to lift the nose without the need to abuse the gearbox or clutch by fanning it.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I have to do everything I can to keep the front down and I weight 200 lbs without gear on. Just ride the bike. If you're feeling froggy roll on the throttle hard in first or second and enjoy the view of the sky lol.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am 6'1 and weigh 195 without gear. That being said, many have said the front wheel comes up so easily yet I have really poored some coals to my bike (up to 8-9k in first and second) most I have felt is the front wheel come up maybe 6iniches or so for about a second and by that time I going pretty fast(not sure how fast because I dont move my eyes to the dash) Maybe Im getting to the power band just a little too slow, but it feels pretty fast to me, lol Just wish I was getting the wheel up at a bit slower speed is all. I think I just expected with all the torque this bike has, it would come up with little effort and without having the twin screaming. Like I said, im sure Im just not being aggressive enough .....

1 - 20 of 105 Posts