Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello boys
I need your opinion here.
I am (37) new here but not new to motorcycling nor to Ducati. I have a decent track experience, rode hundreds of motorcycles and so.
I own a Monster 1000S I.e 2004 and really love everything about it. I use it for about 2,000 km a year, mainly for fun rides because I constantly ride a variety of motorcycles for a daily use.
However, in the last month I got an offer to sell mine and jump to a 1098.
Found one in a very good condition, very well kept (28,000 km, no crash or track history) and even the price is in my capabilities. Unfortunately, I can have only one bike. I wish I could have them both.
The thing is none of my friends and riding friends say it is a smart idea to buy the 1098. They all talk about monstrous front brakes that really put the rider in un necessary danger on public roads and about is being a nightmare to use in daily rides and in the city. One friend used to professionally race a 1198 and he said he would never use that bike on public roads.
two weeks ago i had a track weekend (misano, san marino) on a 848 supersport and liked the way it handles and brake, but it wasn't so powerful (felt ok, just right) and did take some time getting used to.
I can imagine you can't really tell me if I should buy it or not. But could you shed some light about that bike and owning it. Is it that dangerous? Is it really so not recommended to use on public roads?
Any 2 cents about that would help.
Thanks
Kobi

·
Registered
211 Posts
of course its not dangerous in the city... dang i d say its even safer than other supersports (japan) because its lighter and better in brakes. and besides its awesome to see ducatis on the city roads :)

i rarely now take the 1098 out on the street, maybe once a week, but i sure enjoy every minute of that day.

of course on the track its very nice also. ok you might get a newer zx10 with fewer $ and be better with it, but you know... ducati is love. the sound!!

id consider a 1198. newer lighter bit improved motor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No reason to be any deferent than the monster. About 2,000 km a year. Mainly weekend fun rides and rarely in the city.
Not the comfort in the city bothers me but in long fun rides and a clearer point of view about safety (crazy brakes, as people say)

·
Registered
364 Posts
Coming from an 1198S to the Monster 821, in my opinion, the Monster is a MUCH better street bike than the 1X98 series bike. My complaints on the superbike; poor rideability below 4000 rpm, geared tall mailing slow speeds (below 80kph) annoying, the heat generated by the engine roasted your legs, the heat also effected how the dry clutch engaged and with the engine wanting higher rpm, made left turns at traffic lights pathetic (you either lurch or stall). For the race track or other high speed twisty road, it's perfect! The Monster is about 99% capable - good enough for me.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
For pure daily driving the Monster is better. I've put 20K miles on my 1098, about 90% street. Whoever told you the brakes are dangerous is a pansy. Nothing wrong or dangerous at all about the brakes. They're strong yes, but that's a good thing. The only negative is the exhaust will roast you in stop and go traffic. But the same can be said about some Monsters.

Dunno what planepower is complaining about the clutch though. Never had a single issue with mine.

I'd say if you're primarily city riding, stick with the monster because it will be more comfortable. But if you're doing a lot of canyon carving and/or track days, go with the superbike

·
Registered
632 Posts
Yep, wrong about the brakes, some say the initial bite on some calipers are greater, but like anything you will ride accordingly and get used to it.
For your sort of riding, the 1098 will be a wank, but the Monster suits you fine, but by all means test ride the 1098 to make up your own mind.

Craig

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
The 1098 is great for open country roads, road trips, twisties and track.

It's not a city bike. Traffic light to traffic light is a bitch. You will hate it and so will the bike. I keep away from the city traffic.

No complaints about the brakes. They are powerful, however you will get used to them.

I've had 35,000 klms of pretty much problem free fun on mine.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
Do yourself a favor and go test a Streetfighter. You get the comfort and flickability of a Monster with the brute force of a superbike. The 1098/1198/848 is pretty much shit for daily riding once you've tried a Monster or Streetfighter. They absolutely suck for slow speed maneuverability, which is a dagger for a city bike. The Streetfighter is just way more fun. My $0.02.

Reactions: gunther19820

·
Registered
174 Posts
Not a boy here but hopefully I can still answer. ;)

I think the 1098 is a horrible tooling around the city bike. I am usually whooped after 50 miles of riding around town and therefore I rarely do it. It's a bitch in traffic and I won't even talk about school zones. :)

BUT, the bike is an absolute blast in the back roads where you can let the bike loose. I don't think it's uncomfortable but my husband does. He has a Monster S4RS so comfort is really a relative term that only you can define. I love his Monster and someday I'll buy one but not for a long while. Good luck with your choice!

Mary

PS - the 1098 has quite a bit more power than your current bike but you still control the throttle so how dangerous it is will be defined by how you ride it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It's all about you really. I have an s2r800 and a 1098, I spend way more time on the 1098 city included, easily put 300+ miles a week on my 1098. I don't find it difficult in the city at all, is the monster better in the city? sure. Is the 1098 miserable in the city? not by a long shot. It's hot, it's loud, its super crouched down, but honestly? who bloody cares. It's a motorcycle and if comfort way my biggest concern i'd drive my lexus more. At the risk of sounding like a douche... It's freakin cool. It's like driving a ferrari or lambo on the street, ya they're less comfortable than a kia rodando, who freakin cares? Get a ton of thumbs up, kids in cars freak out, girls stop and look, and if you really need to get up on it, ya.. it's a 1098. The monster has it's place and mine isn't going anywhere but don't let comfort stop you from taking an italian supermodel to a drive thru. :yo:

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'm with Reverus here, I've had ducatis going back to 1994. My M900s are ALWAYS the coolest bikes on the street, they sound like an old big block camaro. Are they the most comfortable for the big freeways? no, but they make me happy. Is my 1098s Tricolore great in traffic, nope, but its fuckin cool and i love it... With ducatis you make concessions for how the bike makes you feel. if you want the perfect do all bike, save your money and get an old suzuki blandit 1200 lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.