Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the driven 2nd gear from a 1098R able to be used in an 1198 ??? Would it be more prone to failure than the original 1198??
I ask as I am still waiting for an 1198 2nd gear to come in but I now have a 1098R gear in my hands that has done less than 600km (400 miles):confused:

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
The OEM transmission that came in the 1098R was not as robust as the 1198. I actually put a Nova Racing Transmission in my 1098R... If I could have found a good 1198 transmission I would have used that one... so 1198 transmission in a 1098, not the other way around.... just my opinion...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The OEM transmission that came in the 1098R was not as robust as the 1198. I actually put a Nova Racing Transmission in my 1098R... If I could have found a good 1198 transmission I would have used that one... so 1198 transmission in a 1098, not the other way around.... just my opinion...
Have heard that they are not as robust, looking at parts catalogues the 2008 1098R has a different part number to 09 1198, but the 09 1098R has the same part number :confused:

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
Well now that is a strange deal....maybe it was upgraded/replaced... the only thing I had heard was the 1198 transmission was better/stronger.... even the Corse Transmissions were suspect to the hard shifting of Haga, and the only ones that he could get by with were from NOVA Racing, which were a closer ratio gearset than the Ducati.... The one I have the first gear taller, the others closer.... I love the ratios....

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Is the driven 2nd gear from a 1098R able to be used in an 1198 ??? Would it be more prone to failure than the original 1198??
I ask as I am still waiting for an 1198 2nd gear to come in but I now have a 1098R gear in my hands that has done less than 600km (400 miles):confused:
The R Superbike gearboxes are entirely different.

- Different ratio's
- Lighter/trimmed gears
- Different gear mating
- Different through shafts
- Lighter shifter drum

You can mix and match some parts, but the gears themselves only work with each other. You can put a complete R box into your 1198 no problem and maybe even re-use the shifter drum if need be. But I'm pretty sure you'd have to use the entire gear set due to the ratio changes.

The standard R boxes aren't overly fragile, though for sure more so then the heavy-duty stockers. The corse boxes are way more fragile because they cut the gears down even further. So in terms of fragility, the R's sit right in the middle. Hard coating the R boxes, solves a lot of potential problems, that's what most tuners will do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts