Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Picked up a brand new set of these titanium cans because I liked how they looked and I figured I'd try the A&R baffle kit on them. I especially like the look of the end caps :D. But after contacting A&R, dude told me that the kit for the OEM cans would not work. I figured that for the amount of the kit and my time, why not try!? And I'd never seen or heard of anyone trying this.

After ordering the A&R kit, a buddy of mine and I attempted to take the cans apart. Holy shit what a nightmare. These cans are so much harder to take apart than the base OEM cans that's it's ridiculous. The tolerances on the Akrapovic are so much tighter that we almost gave up because we thought the outlet/baffle end would not come out. Long story short is that we ended up having to use a hickey bar to knock out the baffles/end caps. Even the rivets were a nightmare to drill out. We literally used several titanium drill bits just to do these two cans. To get the baffle tubes to work, we had to trim them a little because the end caps are angled a bit. Also, the baffle 'plates' that go in the outlet end were utilized but are only held in place by pressure vs being held in via hex screws like the base OEM end caps. The Akrapovic end caps have a different hole pattern. Fully assembled, they are VERY light. After we were done with this mod, we started the whole process over on my buddy's black OEM cans from his 1098S. The rivets were so much easier to drill and the cans came apart like nothing compared to the Akrapovic cans. Oh, and once we took one of his cans apart, we compared the weight and one of my cans fully assembled weighed less than just the empty sleeve from his can.

As far as sound: These are definitely louder and more throaty than my carbon Termi cans. But they sound pretty damn mean regardless...

So here they are!

Before:

After:

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
The looser you wrap it the deeper the sound. If you wrap it really tight it has more of a metallic sound if that makes any sense.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The looser you wrap it the deeper the sound. If you wrap it really tight it has more of a metallic sound if that makes any sense.
It does. I did wrap it as tight as I could. I might try to do what they do while being manufactured. They line the inside of the can with a thin layer of the same material. We'll see. I'll keep you guys posted.

·
Court Jester
12,081 Posts
Damn dry clutch! Taking awAy the mic feed. But from what I can tell sounds good.

Thanks for posting!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts