Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pick up my 1098R on Friday and looking for realistic advice on where I should and should not leave it when taking it out for a ride. Should I never leave this bike out of my sight if parking it in a public place? I will mainly ride in a well frequented (by bikes) semi rural area in the outer East of Melbourne which I would consider pretty safe. I'm just not sure how careful I need to be with a bike like this but I'm thinking very careful. It will be locked up at home and obviously is insured. Appreciate any advice.

·
Court Jester
12,114 Posts
I pick up my 1098R on Friday and looking for realistic advice on where I should and should not leave it when taking it out for a ride. Should I never leave this bike out of my sight if parking it in a public place? I will mainly ride in a well frequented (by bikes) semi rural area in the outer East of Melbourne which I would consider pretty safe. I'm just not sure how careful I need to be with a bike like this but I'm thinking very careful. It will be locked up at home and obviously is insured. Appreciate any advice.
Never park mine out of sight and she sleeps in the garage, locking it up is just an obstacle. Mine's not as nice as your but even the shitty bikes get taken.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Does turning the wheel and locking it stop sticky handed people? btw I keep mine in my garage, out of sight with cameras on the garage. I can't say I've ever left it's side for very long when out and about either.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I don't leave mine out of my sight for too long if I'm out ridding.
Pick your places to ride with regard police.
I try not to ride where everyone else goes and not ride on weekends.
That's when a lot of dickheads are out, you know the ones with tee shirts and shorts on posing around the joint.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't leave mine out of my sight for too long if I'm out ridding.
Pick your places to ride with regard police.
I try not to ride where everyone else goes and not ride on weekends.
That's when a lot of dickheads are out, you know the ones with tee shirts and shorts on posing around the joint.

That cracks me up. Good advice.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just picked it up! What a machine, the minute I fire it up adrenalin is coursing through my veins, the noise, the feel, light as a feather. Awesome! Found a false neutral once on the way home didn't really bother me but is this common? Was about 100 deg C when this happened stopped and bike didn't want to fire up again straight away, took about three goes. When the dealer started it this morning it was cold and took a few goes to turn over, again didn't bother me but should it be firing up a bit better than this? Anyway loved the first ride and puts a huge smile on my face. Everything I hoped it would be so far.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
They "can" take a bit to get going but mostly mine starts first or second go cold.
Hot it hardly takes anything to get it going starts better than cold and real easy.
Although I'm running a Microtec ECU and have done a lot of work on the cold start map.
You may or may not want to think about a Microtec ECU, can turn the fans earlier map ignition, fuel and adjust anything the ECU controls.
I don't want to tune the engine to within an inch of it's life but do want to get it as good as can be, ie: custom tune.

·
Registered
32 Posts
They "can" take a bit to get going but mostly mine starts first or second go cold.
Hot it hardly takes anything to get it going starts better than cold and real easy.
Although I'm running a Microtec ECU and have done a lot of work on the cold start map.
You may or may not want to think about a Microtec ECU, can turn the fans earlier map ignition, fuel and adjust anything the ECU controls.
I don't want to tune the engine to within an inch of it's life but do want to get it as good as can be, ie: custom tune.

Bstar, did you ever use the DP Race ECU before the Microtec, or was it the standard ECU? Just curious if the race ECU runs any different than the standard. Mine has the race ECU installed and seems to start and idle fine, albeit it takes a couple chugs longer to fire than my Triumph Daytona.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Yes I did run the DP Race ECU for the 70mm Termi's and it was fine. One of the main reasons I went to the Microtec was to bring the fans on earlier as I didn't like the engine temp getting to 105 degrees C, Also I thought it might have been a bit rich on start up as I could smell fuel.
I have had the air tubes enlarged and have the auto tune kit for the Microtec so I can tune in real world ridding not static on a dyno.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes I did run the DP Race ECU for the 70mm Termi's and it was fine. One of the main reasons I went to the Microtec was to bring the fans on earlier as I didn't like the engine temp getting to 105 degrees C, Also I thought it might have been a bit rich on start up as I could smell fuel.
I have had the air tubes enlarged and have the auto tune kit for the Microtec so I can tune in real world ridding not static on a dyno.
Gotcha, that all makes sense. Mine definitely smells like fuel upon startup, but that's part of the charm. Reminds me of airplanes.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks for the feedback as it all sounds pretty relative to what I've experienced re start up. I found false neutral going from 1st to 2nd but noticed if I kick up hard through the change all's good. A lighter lift is all that's required for any other gear change. The other thing was a stall when the Neutral came on whilst I was actually still in gear? I was stopped at the time but can only assume there may be an electrical glitch with the Neutral light being on when it wasn't supposed to be? I could live with this but anyone else had a similar experience with the Neutral light being on but it's actually in gear? Only happened once so far and like I said I can live with it if it's just a gremlin in the electrics. I'm usually cautious releasing the clutch when in Neutral anyway, although on this occasion obviously not.=)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.