Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys
I recently bought a 1098R, everything is OK but it keeps running when the side stand is down and shifting to first gear, as I know, engine should go off. I'm not sure if engine can run at all when side stand is down, even in neutral. Since this logic is different even between 996S (can't run with side stand down, even in neutral) and 996R (runs with ss down and neutral) and maybe also vs. other Ducati types, need some advice in this topic. How should 1098R work ?

The bike has installed the Race ECU and complete 70mm termis, I also swapped the ECU to the street type, but there is no difference. As I know there is no side stand dongle installed, maybe the picture tell more, have no idea what's the white plug with the black plugin. I already searched the forum for this particular issue regarding 1098R, but could not find any hints. Please help.

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Bumper Gas Auto part Automotive exterior

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The side stand switch should plug into the connector. The black plug is a jumper supplied by Ducati for R-bikes to optionally allow running while the side stand is down.
As can be seen on the below photo, the side stand switch is connected, but the black piece is just a cap, no jumper. see below pic
I also checked the side stand switch, it is switching as it should in two positions, stand up and down.

Hand Revolver Automotive tire Finger Eyelash

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Yellow

· Registered
1,410 Posts
Is there an intermediate in-line piece that the side stand connector plugs into?

From a previous post by Scott:

" ... the 748R/996R/998R etc come with a very neat looking bypass (Just a jumper wire, but it plugs right into the "weather-pack" AMP connector that the side stand switch unplugs from). The problem is, this allows the engine to run with the side stand down but still allows you to drive away (in gear) with the side stand down."

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there an intermediate in-line piece that the side stand connector plugs into?

From a previous post by Scott:

" ... the 748R/996R/998R etc come with a very neat looking bypass (Just a jumper wire, but it plugs right into the "weather-pack" AMP connector that the side stand switch unplugs from). The problem is, this allows the engine to run with the side stand down but still allows you to drive away (in gear) with the side stand down."
Aha, tricky, I will check that and give feedback.

· Registered
1,410 Posts
The computer thinks the side stand is always up. You checked the sidestand switch function, so the problem is in the connector, the wiring between the computer and the connector or in the computer itself. From the picture, the wires out of the connector don't look in great shape.You need to tap into the wires and find the location where the side stand switch position signal isn't getting through.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The computer thinks the side stand is always up. You checked the sidestand switch function, so the problem is in the connector, the wiring between the computer and the connector or in the computer itself. From the picture, the wires out of the connector don't look in great shape.You need to tap into the wires and find the location where the side stand switch position signal isn't getting through.
Yes, this is the most probable cause, thanks for your help.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Is there a large scale wiring diagram for the 1098R, the one on the owner manual is too small too read, and the numbered objects are not listed.

Edit: Think I don't need it anymore after having discovered the things below.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
May I present, one of the dumbest thing Ducati has ever engineered: positioning ECU and cabling very close to exhaust. The heat has fully baked the side stand cable and maybe more cables. Now I need to unpin the ECU plug for repair but I still couldn’t figure out, how to open the plug cover, I guess it should slide forward after lifting those two tiny clips on the front, but it moves just 2 mm then stops. Someone did ever open such plugs?

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Bumper
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Automotive lighting Vehicle
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle

1 - 10 of 10 Posts