Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
pls pls help
im lucky enough to own a 1098.it is my pride and joy.unfortunately i went to start it today.i turned key.everything lite up as per normal.i pressed the starter and i can hear a single click then the engine caution light appears.(which for some reason puts the wind right up me).
the battery is showing 10.8v
like in a car if there's a bad earth from starter motor u turn the key and there is a clunk.so i ran a earth from batt to engine a the same thing happens.
iv a 2008 1098s with full termis and ecu,i fitted decabel killers for a recent track day and left them in.could i have damaged something internally.
im no machanic but will take any advice anyone could give me
thanks

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Wasn't there a voltage regulator recall on 07-08?
I remember a number of people having issues with that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks joeii and la rossa for your quick response
Im fairly sure the battery is fine.iv recharged it.
I wouldn't av a clue how to test starter solinoid but it does sound like a solinoid click.
Yes there was a recall and my bike was only done about two months ago.i think it was for the rectifier or something in that region.ducati were a bit vaque on what they actually replaced.
Because my headlights were flashing on and off but that problems been cine since recall.

·
Registered
979 Posts
10.8v is no where near enough to turn over the high compression of our engines, charge battery or replace it

-Carbon

·
Registered
145 Posts
If there an audible "click" or similar, that's the solenoid getting a charge from the battery. It's the activation of the electro-magnet inside it. I don't think it's the solenoid, as if the battery had enough charge to turn the motor but no click in the noid, bad solenoid.

My bet is battery.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Replacing the battery should fix it. While you are there replacing the battery, check that the terminals on the top of the solenoid are tight (just in front of the battery housing). They tend to work loose with heat.
If they are loose, you should get a better current to the starter once they are tight.
Fully charge the battery (overnight) before fitting it is also a good plan. If impatience doesn't get the better of you..

:D

·
Registered
360 Posts
What others have said (I own the same bike have had same issue)

Get a new QUALITY battery; spend the money. These engines are HARD on the batteries... between the heat of the engine and the compression... Batteries are put to the test.

You'll be 'ight with a new one:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
charge your Battery first and see , should have 12.3V to 12.7v after charging before you could try again.
good luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi
Thanks to all of the above for your advice.
Yes...all of you were bang on the money..
Battery it was..
Just been out for a blast and as ever returned with a smile and full of life.
Thanks again

1 - 13 of 13 Posts