Ducati.org forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
The same thing just happened to me today for the 2nd time(Ran out of Gas). Thought it was a fluke the 1st time, but thank God it when it happened (it was on a downhill) and the gas station was at the bottom. The bike ran out of gas at approx 150.6 Miles. Something is definitely wrong w/my gas light. Will get it fixed, when I get my warranteed Tank replaced, in the off season.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I normally get around 80 miles before my gas light comes on. I would recommend taking your fuel pump out and inspecting everything. Somewhere attached to your fuel pump should be a fuel level sender. If it looks damaged or you can't replace it then replace the pump assembly. While you are in there replace the fuel filter. You will need to replace the clamps on it with a worm style clamp that you can buy at every auto parts store or hardware store. Do not over tighten the fuel pump bolts when you reinstall it. They are very weak and will brake off or strip.

I did not read but that last page of this post. Lots of people here do work on their own bikes.

I don't know what possessed you to go 150 miles on your bike without getting gas. These bikes do not have large fuel tanks.

Hope this was some help to you!!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I don't know what possessed you to go 150 miles on your bike without getting gas. These bikes do not have large fuel tanks.

I wasn't possesed at all, but the route we took (that day)was way far from the nearest gas station. I knew it was only a matter of time before it was going to run out of gas. Lucky for me there was a gas station at the bottom of the hill.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Ducati Thermistor. Replaceable part# 552.4.048.1A

About $56 depending on where you get it. I think the dealer sold it to me for about that much too.

It's attached to the fuel pump assembly (part #9 if you're looking at the schematic for the fuel pump). Pull the tank, drop the pump out, swap the thermistor and button it back up.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I replaced my thermistor 2 years ago after running out of gas and having to push it 1 mile to the nearest gas station. The new part looked a little different from the old one maybe updated, but it fixed it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ugghhh.....I just experienced the dreaded no low fuel light on my 1098S. Ran out of gas and found myself pushing my bike nearly a half mile on Interstate 5. Not fun :mad:. Got home and immediately researched the issue in this forum. Tons of good information. I have an appointment to get it serviced on this coming week, service tech mentioned thermistor straight away as the possible culprit. In the meantime, it's eyes on the trip meter.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Ugghhh.....I just experienced the dreaded no low fuel light on my 1098S. Ran out of gas and found myself pushing my bike nearly a half mile on Interstate 5. Not fun :mad:. Got home and immediately researched the issue in this forum. Tons of good information. I have an appointment to get it serviced on this coming week, service tech mentioned thermistor straight away as the possible culprit. In the meantime, it's eyes on the trip meter.
It's a 30 minute fix I've done personally on my 1098S (ran out of gas on 15N around Aero Dr area). I hope the shop doesn't charge you too much for the work or if they do, you're okay with it. Easy DIY fix if you decided to do it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's a 30 minute fix I've done personally on my 1098S (ran out of gas on 15N around Aero Dr area). I hope the shop doesn't charge you too much for the work or if they do, you're okay with it. Easy DIY fix if you decided to do it.
Thanks for the info Agr0. I took it in, since I have an extended warranty. Turns out it was the thermistor and they will replace it under warranty (RPM). I still ended up having to pay for diagnostics though (1/2 hr labor @ $48 + tax). I was told the thermistor was about a $45 part, so in this case, it turns out to be a break even scenario.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bullshit mine works fine.
Pay for diagnosis, why is that not part of the warranty claim?
Very good question bstar360 and I "suspect" the diagnosis will be covered in the claim. I intend to confirm when I take it in for the thermistor install. It's currently on order. This shop seems very (overly) cautious on warranty repairs. Don't know if they got burned in the past or what. They are saying I pay for everything when service is rendered (including diagnostics) and then when the claim goes through, I'll be reimbursed. It has never worked that way on any car extended warranty repairs I've had. I will quiz them more when I go back to see what's what, I just wasn't was too alarmed since it was a "relatively" inexpensive repair. However, if this is going to be standard practice, I'm going to take my business elsewhere. Couldn't imagine trying to front the bill for an engine failure or similarly costly repair out of pocket first.

What about you guys out there, does this method of customer paying for warranty repairs with reimbursement afterwards sound legit or standard practice in your experience? Interested in arming myself with knowledge. I get it, they don't want to have to wait to get paid, but I believe that's a warranty company - service department issue. FYI, I am dealing with a reputable Ducati - MV Augusta - Husky dealership in my local area.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Good info here. I suspect my problem (2008 848) is the Thermister. As small as that thing is, I can't believe they're charging $48-$56 for it.............wait a minuet.........yes i can. Oh well...

21 - 40 of 48 Posts