Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I have a '98 1098s that pretty much has become a dedicated track bike.

The bike has never idled very well. I took it in to the (RIP) Duc dealer in GSO for the full 7500mi service last year with around 8Kmi on it, and Nate got it running better.

But, now after a few street miles and 3 track days, the poor idle issue is back and the bike has developed a misfire at higher RPM/open throttle. It seems to be getting worse.

After my last track run, I basically chopped the throttle so I could get a look at the plugs after a hot track session. They look matched and nicely brown, a little rich looking if anything. I put new plugs in and rode on the street a little, the issue seems worse.

When cold, the bike starts OK and idles OK. The issue seems to be worse when the bike is warm. Coolant temps seem OK if a little low (150ish) when riding. The poor idle seems to be one cylinder coming in/out. Not sure if this is related to the high power misfire.

Not sure what to do. Does the ECU detect issues and store like an auto OBDII? Seems like a loose connection or sensor issue to me?

Dealers are not close by or convenient in central NC right now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks vfrman, possibly. I did replace the fuel filter (I think) during the service. I have a spare set of injectors that I had cleaned and tested a year ago, but can't find them now. PITA to get them in/out of the harness per my testing service.

Looking at tuneboy and JP tune. Where is the diagnostic connector and what type of connector is it?(OBDII?)

I do have some experience tuning FI systems in cars and bikes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Had similar problems with my 1098s last year, turned out to be the flywheel nut had come loose, symptoms were poor idling when hot, misfiring and headlight flickering intermittently. Its worth checking as if it isn't caught in time it can mangle the crank

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.