Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is the question. I have the opportunity to trade my '07 1098S with 20,000km and my '09 Monster 1100S also with 19,000km for a '08 1098R with 2,500km. Should I do it? Would you?
A

·
Registered
438 Posts
Money is money at the end of the day do what makes you happy.
Aa I don't think your getting hosed :D on the deal dollar fer dollar.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
If you're gonna use the 'R' for track riding, go for it! If you're gonna use it for street riding, I wouldn't bother. I'd keep the monster, ditch the 1098 and buy an 1198S instead. This way you've got your street bike AND have the sportbike for track days.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Would I, no...

First I don't think there's enough performance difference between the two 1098's in question and certainly not a superior level of performance in the 1098R that I could leverage anywhere.

I'd stick with the two bikes, or trade the 1098S plus some cash for the 1098R if you really have to have it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The 1098R is one hell of a bike. It is really more track oriented as already mentioned. The traction control good to have. I love the torque it makes at around 6-7k rpm. It is really a solid bike.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The 1098R is the best superbike I have ever ridden. It kicks the 1199 a** and to be sure it is nothing like the 1098 or even the 1198. However, the 1098R does not like to commute, it likes to go fast, as fast as you dare go. In traffic, it will get hot and the slipper clutch will squeal. If you ride for adrenaline in the twisties, this is the bike for you, if not, let some one who wants all that performance buy it.

As for the trade, I would do it!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Like everyone said, if your not gonna be tracking the 1098r then its not worth it. Or maybe like ChrisE mentioned, keep the monster and trade your S with cash on top for the R.

For myself, I ended up getting the 1098s since I figured im not going to the track and i want a bike that i can commute on the weekdays and canyon riding on the weekends. I know its not ideal to commute the 1098 but with the money I saved, I can make upgrades to it to where its decent enough to be able to commute it and enough to make it a really fun for canyon riding on the weekend to get my fix.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
I originally tried to get an 1198R Corse, but had to settle for an 1198S Corse....

But if I were you with your bikes, no...I wouldn't trade. The Monster is too cool to give up...

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Ohh and the 1198S gives you the TC system and lots of other updates. It's no "R" but it's a lot more friendly to ride.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Keep the bikes you have or trade the 1098 in and add cash. I wouldn't get rid of the last air cooled monster.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, thanks for all of your input. It was all very helpful opinions on a tough decision. But, I have decided to keep what I have. It's the best of both worlds. A great SBK that I'm extremely happy with and a great sport touring bike for city rides.
The R will go to someone who will use it in the proper way. Thanks again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts