Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys... I'm thinking of adding an 1198 to the family, and so this questions only applies to current owners of an 1198.

What DON'T you like about the 1198?

Please feel free to list all the negatives you can think of.

Thank you!!!

:yo:

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
I've only got an 848, but many issues are common:

1) Hot under the butt and on the right leg.
2) Riding position is masochistic at best.
3) Expensive to buy; even more expensive to maintain.
4) Can't buy gas without people wanting to talk to you for 10 minutes.
5) Spending odd hours in the garage just to stare at your bike.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Based solely on an OEM bike, it needs different grips, seat, and bar-ends plus a few suspension adjustments to make it perfect.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The mirrors are useless. But all OEM mirrors are useless to me. Bar end mirrors fix that problem. Other than that, no negatives.

-gary

·
Registered
446 Posts
The shotty QA with their paint jobs.

The lack of coming out and acknowledging known problems and coming up with a permanent fix....radiator and swelling gas tanks.

Forget about worrying about being bothered at the gas station while filling up your tank. I'd worry about putting gas into the tank period as to whether you're going to eventually get hit with the infamous swelling tank issue.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Stock Exhaust shield falls off after 3 weeks (same experience, 2 bikes)

- Levers are plain bad (no adjustability)

·
Registered
203 Posts
The negatives to me are few but here are mine. Brutal riding position (I'm 38 not 16 anymore) you better not go far from gas stations cause the tank is small and it burns gas quick. You better like wheelies because that's all you will be doing in first and second but then again isn't this why we love bikes. I guess my only real complaint then would be the riding position. The positives far out weight the negatives though. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Alright guys... I'm thinking of adding an 1198 to the family, and so this questions only applies to current owners of an 1198.

What DON'T you like about the 1198?

Please feel free to list all the negatives you can think of.

Thank you!!!

:yo:
In all honesty. Any negative you can come up with go unnoticed with me every time i ride the bike. When talking about the stock bike. Get a DP Superpole seat and you will be good to go. There are some other things id change but your opinion will be different than mine most likely so you will just have to figure that stuff out after you get it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Stock Exhaust shield falls off after 3 weeks (same experience, 2 bikes)
Locktite?

- Levers are plain bad (no adjustability)
My levers are adjustable for reach/angle and fit me perfectly. What other adjustability is needed?

·
Registered
191 Posts
-Expanding tank.
-Having to buy remap or buy a race ECU for it to run properly.
-Being asked if something is broke...when they hear the dry clutch rattle!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had a 1098 not 1198 but same...
On stock setup My number 1 complaint is: this bike does not turn in! The steering is very slow and heavy.
No slipper clutch, pegs are too low and forward, gearing is too long, and sometimes it does not start when I'm 2 hours away from home and have to get it towed!

·
Banned
2,253 Posts
based on the owner comments there I would go a a 2006 999R and have something different and the later 999's do handle straight off the showroom floor

·
Registered
166 Posts
It's funny how personally based these things are. I love the low pegs on my 1198. It helps my 39 year old knees. I've done a 1200 mile weekend on mine.

The stock fueling was terrible as well as the heat under the seat. I did A&R Baffles, DP Air Filter and an Ecu Flash and fueling is fantastic now.

I raised the rear ride height some to get the bike to steer the way i wanted.

I also locktite(d) my exhaust heat shield bolts, and any bolts I take off i loctite putting them back on.

I also check my fairing bolts after long rides.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
I raised the rear ride height some to get the bike to steer the way i wanted.
Did it help with turn-in and how much did you raise it? I'm thinking of doing that.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Many of the same that have already been posted.

Gearing
Riding Position
Mirrors
Fuel Range
OEM & DP Maps (dealer could not fix per DNA, simple A&F mix)
Harware loss (comes with the territory)

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Did it help with turn-in and how much did you raise it? I'm thinking of doing that.
Its all relative when you consider start point and ur own height but I had mine raised 2 turns. It made a big difference to me in handling

1 - 20 of 42 Posts