Ducati.org forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,786 Posts
A couple of points on this discussion.
Firstly a solid cover like the Streetfighter one would be the safe bet if you crash on that side. And it's a good looking cover. The stock steel cover just collapses and destroys the clutch in a fall.
But these clutches give better service with an open cover as it allows for air-cooling (of course) but also lets some of the dust escape. A build-up of dust in there causes the clutch to misbehave.
The unfortunate reality with these dry clutches is that you need to replace the basket and friction plates at around 30,000 kms or 18,000 miles. It's just a fact of this system. I know this from being on my third set..
The dry clutch is light weight, doesn't have any oil drag, grips beautifully, and will give good service if set up correctly, but these parts need replacing at that mileage. And the increasing noise is your bike letting you know this.
My solution was a machined-from-solid SpeedyMoto cover which is strong in a fall, and also breathes.
I also went to the (German) MPL basket which has a precision fit between plates and slots, and remains quieter for longer.
And Motorize friction plates at about $130 a set off Ebay. The full set of plates from Ducati cost over $500 retail here, and you don't need to replace your steel plates as often if you haven't abused your clutch.
:smoking:

·
Registered
94 Posts
I bought a stock cover yesterday... since I never had it closed and my bike came with open cover, I can't wait to hear the difference.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts