Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience/insight removing this from an 1198? I don't think race bikes have them. I'd like to remove it and see how it works out. I can tune it with the Microtec.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
With the microtech unit, you can remove it without any consequences (check engine light) and the engine runs fine without it IF you kick the RPM's up a bit at idle. It's basally there to introduce more air into the mixture when the engine is cold. Prior, there was a little switch which you'd pull on the throttle side which opened up the throttle bodies a tiny bit when it's cold.

So you're all good! Throw the thing away! :)

Reactions: DHarsay

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
Yeah, I don't know about what Tooned posted. But I did remove the whole assembly when I switched to an aluminum throttle body bracket. To remove the air control you should block the whole in the airbox, and there are two hose connections, one on each throttle body, in addition to sealing off the holes, you will need to turn out the idle air screws about one turn, on each throttle body. (the big screws on the right side of the throttle body). I left the throttle and cables alone, just adjusted the air screws for proper idle. But the above is for a race bike, not a street bike, and it works just fine, even at a idle. Why bother? Because the weight of the stamped steel throttle body bracket, the valve, the bolts, the hoses, etc. is surprisingly heavy. I love removing weight from my race bike, as "take care of the ounces, the pounds will take care of themselves"...just sayin.

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
There is a bit of weight in this assembly. Mainly the steel stamped bracket that supports the throttle bodies, as Bob mentioned.
I replaced it with the (silly expensive!) carbon fibre bracket Bellissimoto sells. Not sure who made it. That part needs a little bit of grinding to clear everything, by the way. Easily done, but check it before bolting it up.
I also replaced the about 22 screws (from memory) in aluminium or titanium.
Reasonable weight savings there.
But I would tend to leave the equaliser pump in situ for a road bike, if you don't have a sophisticated replacement ECU like Microtec et al.
These engines need a bit of help to idle reliably.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone, I'll remove it when I change the belts and check/adjust the valves, and install a lightweight bracket... and a DP flywheel, so I should have some fun getting it to idle properly.

By the way, I seem to be up to spending about a $1 per gram of weight savings these days. I'm happy to ditch stuff like this.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Can someone explain in more detail what this valve does and how it works please?
At what temp does it come into play or turn off if that's the case?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Can someone explain in more detail what this valve does and how it works please?
At what temp does it come into play or turn off if that's the case?
The idle control valve in the Ducati 848/1098/1198 takes air from within the airbox and sends it to the throttle bodies, below the throttle plates. It's a similar intent to the adjustable air ports which takes the air/fuel mixture from above the throttle plate, to below the throttle plate. Difference is, the ECU controls it's function and it only enriches the air part of the mixture by a small amount.

Outside of initial start, I'm not sure when the system is activated. One would make the assumption, it's part of the modern emissions requirements and Ducati had no choice but to implement it like almost all the other brands have over the last few years. Due to all the clearly obvious stalling issues these bikes have, this system is probably not active after initial start. In fact, when you start one of these bikes from dead cold, you will see the RPM's run higher then when the engine is hot. This could be evidence of the valve functioning properly.

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
:) Gee what a surprise!

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
The idle control valve in the Ducati 848/1098/1198 takes air from within the airbox and sends it to the throttle bodies, below the throttle plates. It's a similar intent to the adjustable air ports which takes the air/fuel mixture from above the throttle plate, to below the throttle plate. Difference is, the ECU controls it's function and it only enriches the air part of the mixture by a small amount.

Outside of initial start, I'm not sure when the system is activated. One would make the assumption, it's part of the modern emissions requirements and Ducati had no choice but to implement it like almost all the other brands have over the last few years. Due to all the clearly obvious stalling issues these bikes have, this system is probably not active after initial start. In fact, when you start one of these bikes from dead cold, you will see the RPM's run higher then when the engine is hot. This could be evidence of the valve functioning properly.
Yet more made-up hogwash from the resident troll. "Enriches the air part of the mixture". You what??!

As to the last two sentences.. No! There is a cold-running circuit which supplies a richer mixture and a faster idle up to about 58C.

If you haven't a clue, why even pretend?

Sorry gang, but I am so sick of coming back here to find more of this shit. Of mis-information masquerading as knowledge and fact. Of being stalked onto threads and contradicted by a semi-literate fool.

Spoils it for everyone.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Just to everyone knows…

When you increase air into an air/fuel mixture, the result is the RPM's raising. When you twist the throttle, the cable opens a throttle plate, which then electronically tells the ECU via the throttle position sensor, to increase the fuel mixture to compensate for the air increase. On a carburetor, it works almost identically, as the air increases, the engine raises it's RPM which increases the vacuum and sucks more fuel through the jets.

I apologize if my responses made the assumption everyone understood this dynamic. Clearly Pat doesn't feel people are smart enough, but I do, which is why I didn't mention it.

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
Just to everyone knows…

When you increase air into an air/fuel mixture, the result is the RPM's raising. This is why we increase the air mixture via throttle plates in order to increase the engines RPM's.

I apologize if my responses made the assumption everyone understood this dynamic. Clearly Pat doesn't feel people are smart enough.

Go away Purcell, your attacks on Pat, and others, are moronic and childish.

Reactions: Aussie_Bob

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
I see you are frantically editing/modifying your post when challenged for derogatory statements.
Shame on you....

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
More passive/aggressive shit from the resident troll. I am just so sick of this.

So he gives us all so much respect. Obviously I am incapable of such humanity..

Fuck me.

:ahhh:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts