Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, gang, new guy on the forum here.

Bought an 1198 recently, had 10K+ miles, the 7.5K was never performed. I will do the tune-up myself. Am in the process of getting the filters, o-rings, etc.

It starts difficult when cold. Like, not enough volts, even right off a battery tender. Battery is good, good voltage. It had Comp Werkes slip-ons, but I removed them for stock (too loud for my neighborhood).

I _must_ give it gas when starting. Otherwise, it refuses to catch.

Power comes _hard_ @ 3K-4K. It really kicks on. Is that normal?

At cruising speeds, 5 and 6th gears have very noticeable vibration. It's pretty bad, almost makes the dashboard fuzzy. Mirrors are useless. Normal?

Last 15 miles I rode it, there was what sounded like rhythmic ringing coming from the front. Any ideas?

In closed throttle decel, it will cough and sputter, like it's too lean. I didn't check, so I don't know the fuel AFRs.

So what do you'll think? Should I find me a wideband sensor and try it? I ordered the 3-pin connector with the bluetooth adapter, and got the App in the phone. Didn't try them yet.

Any advice what to do? What causes these things? I will change the following items: spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter, timing belts. Is there a cure for the abovementioned symptoms?

Thanks, everyone!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hey, gang, new guy on the forum here.

Bought an 1198 recently, had 10K+ miles, the 7.5K was never performed. I will do the tune-up myself. Am in the process of getting the filters, o-rings, etc.

It starts difficult when cold. Like, not enough volts, even right off a battery tender. Battery is good, good voltage. [put in a new battery, static voltage is a poor indicator] It had Comp Werkes slip-ons, but I removed them for stock (too loud for my neighborhood).

I _must_ give it gas when starting. Otherwise, it refuses to catch. [new plugs may help, kinda normal]

Power comes _hard_ @ 3K-4K. It really kicks on. Is that normal? [fun isn't it :kaioken:]

At cruising speeds, 5 and 6th gears have very noticeable vibration. It's pretty bad, almost makes the dashboard fuzzy. Mirrors are useless. Normal? [ sounds like its lugging, anything less than 3.5K at speed will cause what you describe when giving it the gas. Keep the rpm @4k or above when cruising & downshift for hard acceleration]

Last 15 miles I rode it, there was what sounded like rhythmic ringing coming from the front. Any ideas? [? not normal, investigate]

In closed throttle decel, it will cough and sputter, like it's too lean. I didn't check, so I don't know the fuel AFRs. [popping & rumbling is normal under downshift deceleration, music to my ears :D]

So what do you'll think? Should I find me a wideband sensor and try it? I ordered the 3-pin connector with the bluetooth adapter, and got the App in the phone. Didn't try them yet.

Any advice what to do? What causes these things? I will change the following items: spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter, timing belts . Is there a cure for the abovementioned symptoms? [Ride it!]

Thanks, everyone!
up

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update:

Changed plugs. Kept the RPM a little higher, and, 'viola!', no more lugging or ringing. I just never owned a 2-cyl monster before, only 4-bangers (5 different ones). Thanks for advice!

But dat startin'! Dat startin' is juss no good! No good, I tell ya! Typically takes a few cranks.

Do ya really make yer Duc' suffer through an excruciating agony every time ya'll start it? What's the cure!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Replace d'battery I tell'ya! Its a new bike to you, it could still have the oem in there and who knows how well it was tendered. Slow cranking and hard starting are a classic symptoms. You can one-up the issue by also replacing the high current wires leading from the battery and to the starter. 1198's are notorious for thrashing the starter sprag clutch due to problems such as this. It'll be way cheaper in the in long run. Read-up..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got some AWG 4 wire, pure copper, will Dremel out the lugs for the battery terminals out of plumbing copper or just buy lugs at auto store later. That's a project for later.

Today, though, I played with that bluetooth harness and the free app, and couldn't save the trim numbers. Every time I adjusted it up or down, the 'Save' button would turn green, and unclickable. What gives?

Also, while idling my bike in the garage, the exhaust headers turned _cherry red_!!!! Like, glowing red! Is that normal? I immediately shut it down, and put a fan on the bike. I rode it later that night, it was fine. But glowing red?! Whaaat?!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Glowing red while in the garage idling???!!!! I'd have to see some video of that because it should not produce even a quarter of the heat needed to do that. Crazy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, at that point the RPM were at 2000-2100.

Does anyone have an idea what can I do at this point. There is no way I'm getting a programmable race ECU. Any fixes, recommendations? Thanks.

·
Registered
226 Posts
A dull red glow coming from the headers while running the engine at 1500+ rpm for several minutes is normal for stock 1198's. The severity is the result of epa emission requirements and the ecu map. AF is controlled by the ecu & lambda sensor forcing a very lean fuel ratio leading to high exhaust temps. A DP ecu or stock re-flashed to eliminate the lambda sensor and fix the AF will help reduce exhaust temps.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Yeah, at that point the RPM were at 2000-2100.

Does anyone have an idea what can I do at this point. There is no way I'm getting a programmable race ECU. Any fixes, recommendations? Thanks.
no need for a programmable race ECU.

JPDiag and the writer program can sort you out with the tune off a 1198 DP ECU for about $125USD. that'll be about the cheapest solution available.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update: I got the starter wiring redone. I upgraded it with some super-thick, flexible pure-copper audio power wire from a local car audio shop.

It didn't make a lick of a difference. Zero. Bike still feels like it's giving birth as it starts. And it takes a couple of twists of throttle to bark to life.

Next mod: Home-made O2 manipulators. Like Fat Duc's.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Update: I got the starter wiring redone. I upgraded it with some super-thick, flexible pure-copper audio power wire from a local car audio shop.

It didn't make a lick of a difference. Zero. Bike still feels like it's giving birth as it starts. And it takes a couple of twists of throttle to bark to life.

Next mod: Home-made O2 manipulators. Like Fat Duc's.
You better start reading up on the sprag.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I did the Wire upgrade from Motolectric. And it made a difference.

I don't think I am better then anyone else. So with the said. I wouldn't waste my time on anything that I can buy for less then my effort and time. I figured this out when building my first Harley. Don't get me wrong it's fun and rewarding but on somethings it's more bother then reward.

Take your homemade battery wire set up. Your not the first member on here to make your own.. but You just like him didn't see any results.. While members with the Motolectric have seen good results..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update:

Got the timing belts replaced.

Modified the headlight for 2 Morimoto bi-xenon 6.0 Mini projectors, but the hi/low beam solenoid in one shorted out. Flames, smoke, the good stuff. Also, the cheap ebay HID kit sucked, I could actually see the blue arc on startup, it was also shorting. So had to revert back to crappy OEM headlight internals.

Did the shim adjustment. Boy, that sucked! New feeler gauges had factory grease on them. And guess what. Stuck together. I redid the stinking shims about 4 times on the horizontal, and 3 times on the vert. That was rough, maybe 35-40 hours total. Until I realized that 2 pairs of feelers were stuck together. .0025 and .0028. Also, another pair. That was so bad. I was running out of thick-ish shims. Btw since I only had a SAE micrometer, I just converted everything into inches. Worked out good, though. Bike sounds real good, pulls hard.

I also made an oxygen sensor cheat thing. The bike seems to run a little better, not as lean. Still pulls like mad when you get on it.

Replaced the clutch pack and the basket. The fingers that engage were really worn, and the clutch was making a lot of noise. So now clutch can be barely heard.

The engine cranks real slow still, though. I guess I'll live with that. Oh well.

Overall, I'm really happy, thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I found the slow starting on my 1198 improved a lot after I adjusted the valve clearances during the 15k service. I did the job myself after a lot of research and praying. To my surprise most of the gaps were quite far out of spec. After I meticulously "worked" each shim to get the clearances as close to perfect as I could the bike started right off the bat and still does, almost another 15k later.

not sure if this is your problem as well but worth a try. Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Another update:

The self-made oxygen sensor thing I made crapped out, I guess one went bad. Took them off, runs like it did stock.

Pipes are ridiculously hot. I mean hot. When I get off the bike, my shins are red from the heat. It hurts. Hoping to find some time to get the pipes wrapped in heatwrap.

The RetrofitSource came through big time with sending out a new solenoid, free of charge. I got the projectors back into the headlights. Huuuuggggeeee difference! Awesome! Literally, like driving through a football stadium at night with all lights on! Very, extremely happy! Wow! You can see in the pic, the road is really well-lit. It curves up a ways down, and that's why the green street name sign glows kinda high.

Edit: this is on low beams, by the way!

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts