Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have owned many bikes over the last 45 years, but never a Ducati. Currently have a BMW r1200gsa and new s1000rr, but always thought I wanted at least one Ducati in my life. Found a nice low miles 1198. Plan to use it mostly at the track if I buy it. Bike forums are filled with negative comments. Are Ducati's really as unreliable as I read or like most bikes, take care of them and they take care of you. When I look the bike over and take a short test ride, what should I be looking for?

·
Court Jester
12,114 Posts
Have owned many bikes over the last 45 years, but never a Ducati. Currently have a BMW r1200gsa and new s1000rr, but always thought I wanted at least one Ducati in my life. Found a nice low miles 1198. Plan to use it mostly at the track if I buy it. Bike forums are filled with negative comments. Are Ducati's really as unreliable as I read or like most bikes, take care of them and they take care of you. When I look the bike over and take a short test ride, what should I be looking for?
The problem with forums is you are only getting one very small slice of the pie. Most people are only going to forums for information, not to praise their lust for something although some of us do :D

I'm on my 3rd engine for my 848 do I think it's unreliable? NO my old CBR left me stranded many more times than my 848 ever has. But if you are going to track the bike you better plan on engine work, abuse the rev limiter and you will pay.

My first blown engine was all on me I changed the belts, failed to check them after 100 miles went 3k miles then did a track day.. and lost a belt, But I got 23k miles on that engine.

My second engine was an ebay engine I got 15k miles on it and yes I abused it.

Putting my 3rd in now, but I'm having a 4th built to print.

What I have found to be true is yes they take more maintenance and due to the small population compared to other brands its cost more.

If you love the bike none of this will matter.

GL...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.