Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I recently had a tire front tire blowout (see my other post for details) that required taking the front wheel off of my 1198s for a police inspection. Problem is, the mechanic took the wheel off at my house without me being there (long story). He left the front axle, a wide spacer, a thin washer, and the axle nut. In the 1198 parts catalogue, it seems that there are two spacers, but I read somewhere that the 1198s only uses the wide spacer. Is this true, or did the mechanic loose a spacer? I posted a picture below of what I have.

I do not know the mechanic, had to use his services as a last resort, and I did not like how he charged me (bulk amount without cost breakdown despite me asking for it, due to circumstances I was forced to agree) so I can't trust him saying that he didn't lose anything, so asking him is pointless.

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
It's for alignment of the wheel, so you'll probably be fine for the sake of moving it around in a garage, but you certainly should NOT ride without it. A lot of times those get stuck on the wheel when you take the wheel off. Did you check that? Or do you not have the wheel anymore?

Reactions: Tchase

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alloy wheel Tire Wheel Rim Auto part

Wow rub, thanks again! Second piece of valuable info in two weeks! I read your reply and went running down to check. I think that's what happened. I also think you saved me a spacer and I now owe you a beer. Could you confirm that what I'm looking at is the thin(ner) spacer?

·
Court Jester
12,114 Posts
View attachment 91523
Wow rub, thanks again! Second piece of valuable info in two weeks! I read your reply and went running down to check. I think that's what happened. I also think you saved me a spacer and I now owe you a beer. Could you confirm that what I'm looking at is the thin(ner) spacer?
That looks like the spacer, you should be able to with some what ease pull it out gently pry at it with a flat screw driver, it should only be held in with grease.

Last time I lost mine it was at the shop where they changed the tire...

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Yep, that's the one. Sometimes they stay stuck in there (tight tolerance) and other times they fall right out if you barely rub your hand over it....most commonly they fall out when you try to put the wheel back in and it rubs against the bottom fork leg....naturally...at the worst time, when you got stuff in both hands and trying to work the wheel in...that's when they always fall! Must be one of Murphy's laws :D

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
Yes it's there. I nearly leapt to the mechanics defence suspecting that was what happened, but Rub beat me to it. (Good work).

These two spacers should be among the first parts to replace in aluminium in my view. Cost me about $4 to make the pair. And the alloy ones are less inclined to fall out as they are lighter - easier when reassembling.

Then when you are getting a batch of anodising done you can make them harder and prettier for not much! They will wear a little at the seal lip eventually.

It's usually the deeper one that falls out. Grease the inside face before putting it back into the seal as you roll the wheel back in.

It gets easier after the first few hundred times.

:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.