Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone - i'm a new member from England

Having read a a few threads on 1198R, I thought I would pass on what I have learnt about the next awesome creation from those amazing Italians.

I have placed a deposit with my trusted Ducati dealer on a 1198R and this is the info I have gleaned from them, not much but I think it will be new info for some of you....

1. Ducati are not giving any official info
2. My dealer has been told the bike will be 5kg lighter than current 1098s
3. Will produce 180bhp :D (did not day where from) and said they expect it to produce bear 200bhp with race exhaust system (this is based on current dyno test of 1098s gaining 15bhp after placing 70mm system on :naughty:

Needless to say i'm VERY excited about the prospect of owning another piece of motorsport history and when I hear new news will pass on what I learn.

Keep it red but don't end up dead!

Carlos

·
Registered
152 Posts
:banghead: $40K :stopp: :stopp: :stopp: I will keep my 1098 for half less :D :D :D

·
Registered
162 Posts
Damn! Thats a huge amount! I will stick to what I got!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Okay, Any ideal what I'm getting for the extra 20K? twice the horsies, twice the torque, twice the looks, or just more ego. Any ideals?

·
Registered
1 Posts
CAG said:
Only twice the ego.

CAG
Kind of a hypocrite telling someone they are buying "ego" for paying 40k for a Ducati R bike. Anyone with a Japanese liter bike can tell you all your doing is buying ego buying a Ducati 1098 when you can buy a Kawayamisuzihonda for $1000's less and get more performance. A very small percentage of riders can fully use the hp any manufactures liter (or liter+ for the Duc) bike makes so nearly anyone buying one would be buying ego then. Tons of Japanese bike owners criticize Ducati owners for over paying for their bikes because they don't understand the draw to one. Why give someone crap just because they can afford more for their dream bike than you?

·
Premium Member
2,751 Posts
guys,

Lots of speculation about a bike that, (so far), exists only on ducati blogs. Many, many posts abut a 1098R, 1188R, 1198R, etc...

Will there be a "R" model of the 1098? almost certainly. What will it cost? Who knows? If past pricing is any indication, it will be priced in the low $30,000 dollar range. What will the buyer of this limited edition "R" model get for his money? Again, if history is any indication, increased horsepower, better suspension, reduced weight, and some special graphics.

Will the as-of-yet not designed "R" model of ducati's latest superbike be worth the price of admission? "Yes," if you want one and "No," if you don't. It's that simple. nobody "needs" a ducati. None of us, (i'm generalizing now, but you get my point), are using a ducati as our main/sole means of transportation. People buy motorcycles because they want them, not because they need them. the entire industry is desire/ego driven. Harley, Hayabusa, Ducati, BMW, whatever you want, you can get, as long as you've got the money. it's all about what you want and what you like and what statement you want to make. I understand that millions of people in "third world" countries are using small motorcycles for transportation and work, but they're not on the internet debating whether a ducati is worth the extra 5 grand as compared to a japanese liter bike, or whether ducati's latest "R" model is worth the money, so let's leave them, (and their very cool bikes!), out of this for the time being.

And are there dealerships willing to take your deposit on a 1098R or 1188R or 1198R, or whatever you/they want to call it? I'm sure there are. motorcycle dealerships are not in the habit of saying "no" to people offering them money. but putting a deposit down doesn't make it real. it only puts you on a waiting list for ducati's next superbike "R" model, whatever it turns out to be.

but will Ducati's newest "R" model have a 1.2 liter engine? that remains to be seen. at this point, unlikely. only if WSBK and AMA appove the full bump in displacement that ducati requested will ducati homolgate a 1.2 liter bike. If, on the other hand, the rules committe compromises and splits the difference, we'll see a 100cc bump, rather than a 200cc bump, for V-twins in the superbike class. and that would mean a 1098 "R" model at current displacement size.

Time will tell.

Elton

·
Registered
30 Posts
thewall67 said:
Kind of a hypocrite telling someone they are buying "ego" for paying 40k for a Ducati R bike. Anyone with a Japanese liter bike can tell you all your doing is buying ego buying a Ducati 1098 when you can buy a Kawayamisuzihonda for $1000's less and get more performance. A very small percentage of riders can fully use the hp any manufactures liter (or liter+ for the Duc) bike makes so nearly anyone buying one would be buying ego then. Tons of Japanese bike owners criticize Ducati owners for over paying for their bikes because they don't understand the draw to one. Why give someone crap just because they can afford more for their dream bike than you?
it is more 'ego' if you think about it. Like you say, buying a Duc for thousands more than a jap is not only about the riding experience but it is about bragging rights too... everyone likes the attention they get. Also, you cant use the full potential of bikes on the road... again your right...
So why buy the R version? Bragging rights... all i ever hear about R versions is that they are a hard set up for the road....
The only reason i would buy an R is cos of the ohlins bling and stunning carbon fibre fairings... making it different and rare... exactly why i bought a Senna over a standard 916/996/998.
How much extra noticable performance are you really getting over a standard bike to justify paying double the price? Bragging rights is the answer

·
Registered
337 Posts
mrinflux said:
guys,
If, on the other hand, the rules committe compromises and splits the difference, we'll see a 100cc bump, rather than a 200cc bump, in the superbike class for V-twins. and that would mean an "R" model of the 1098 at current displacement size.
Time will tell.
Elton
-----------------------
Agreed. That seems to be Ducatis plan anyway from talks with some DNA people. They imply that they expect the 200 bump to be denied and will end up with 100, and Viola! A 1098R, easy to homolgate, since the engine is already in production.

Its what led me to a Standard model, since past experience has shown that the Standard and R models are significantly difft.

Fun speculating.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Good pont about the displacement, handing Duc 200cc won't bode well for the other teams. Especially since the 999r isn't exactly last on pace this year.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Im confused... how/why would people put deposits an a bike that doesnt exist?

Does it go something like this: Joe customer walks into dealer ship and Sya, "Hi, I want to put a deposit on the new Ducati bike that no one knows anything about." Then the dealer, scratching his head goes "sure, give me $500 and I'll put your name on the list"

Kinda funny... reminds me when i saw a listing on ebay for $15,000 for the opportunity to get someones place in line for a tri-color, not the bike, just the guys place in line.

·
Premium Member
2,751 Posts
Mr. Feet,

what people are putting deposits on, (and dealersips are more than happy to accept), are deposits on the as-of-yet not designed or built, much less released, "R" model of the 1098. What the displacement of this "R" model will be remains to be seen. There will be an "R" model; we just don't know how big the engine will be. That's the subject of this thread.

Elton

·
Registered
337 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
DUCMILLE said:
SB ---
Yeah, a bunch of us know about that, but that doesn't mean the SBK rules committee will approve it. And that is the million dollar question. We know that Ducati wants it to happen, but the question is will it.
I think Ducati will build it because they can, and people will buy it because they want it. I understand your point, since Ducati had to build enough 996R and 998R's to satisfy homologation rules, but with the 999R it appears they went above and beyond the required number needed to homologate it and for lack of a better word it went on to become more of a commercial success. If WSBK then blesses a 100 cc bump they will be ready with the 1098R. if not they can sell them anyway because they will be percieved by the well healed to be a cut above the base and S models and afford the owners exclusivity and bragging rights.
F

·
Premium Member
2,751 Posts
SB,

No one doubts that Ducati will build an "R" version of the 1098. The issue, (of this thread, at least), is not whether Ducati will build it, but rather, what the displacement will be when they do. Several of us are opining that a 1200 cc "R" model is unlikely. At least not for the time being. But time will tell.

Elton

1 - 20 of 30 Posts