Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, I am a casual rider, and generally take things easy on this bike. (In other words, I don't beat the snot out of it... it is far more bike, than I am rider.) . It is a 2010 and only has about 2200 miles on it.

I rode to work, and noticed that the lights on the lower part of the instrument panel were not lit. I didn't think much of that, and continued with my day. On my ride home, the lights seemed to have corrected, and all seemed well. Anyways, I was about 5 miles from home yesterday and the bike died. I was riding along, and the bike just lost power... instrument cluster showed a flash of the yellow diagnostics warning light before the lower lights died... then everything died.

I noticed the smell that everyone dreads... electrical funkiness. It was not a strong smell, but it certainly was present. Now, if I turn the ignition on, I only get the main panel back light. The fuel pump makes a few strange sounds, but nothing close to a normal prime / pressurization.

I have the bike on a trailer, and it will be going to the shop, but they are closed today. I'm just wondering if this could be a voltage regulator, or something far more sinister. Trying to wrap my head around what I am probably looking at...

Thanks for any / all comments!

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
It could be the VR but doesn't sound like the usual symptoms. Have you checked the battery condition before trying to start it up again? If you have a good battery it should at least start even if you have a bad VR.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The battery is fine. I put a Shorai in it last late summer / fall. I had it on maintenance before I took it out for the season about a week ago. With the ingition on, the panel does light up now, but the fuel pump doesn't run correctly. There is a fairly quiet continuous horn sound with the ignition on.

When a VR does go, is there typically a smell associated with it - like it burned? The smell was not strong, but it was definitely there.

I feel like my descriptions are pretty confusing and wandering all over the place. Once the shop gets to look at it, I will come back with an update... In the mean time, I'm happy to answer any other questions to the best of my ability.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Take then VR out and smell it or test it with a volt meter. If it smells burnt then replace it.

Reactions: rhg1911

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok - I'm about to go poke around and see if I can find anything obviously wrong. I'll start with the VR. My latest question is: If I need to replace the VR, do people typically replace with OEM, or is there inherently something wrong with that? Are there better options out there??

If the VR did crap out on me, what are he odds of it taking out the battery also?

(Sorry for the newbee questions...)

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
The battery is probably fine.

Reactions: rhg1911

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Hey bud,

I have had ALOT of issues with my old 1198. Particularly with the charging system and such. What I would do is take off the left fairing and the belly fairing and unhook your VR and see if it has "exploded" I've had 2 fail on me, 1 failed and it had the back rupture, the other failed and it didnt rupture. If it did fail, just let me know. I have an extra one here that is literally brand new and still in the box. Also, what is your battery voltage since you are able to read that still?

Hope this helps!

Nick

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Ok - I'm about to go poke around and see if I can find anything obviously wrong. I'll start with the VR. My latest question is: If I need to replace the VR, do people typically replace with OEM, or is there inherently something wrong with that? Are there better options out there??

If the VR did crap out on me, what are he odds of it taking out the battery also?

(Sorry for the newbee questions...)
Forgot to mention, there is a better option and it is the Ricks hotshot VR. I do have an extra one of those sitting on my shelf if you would like it. You can order one if you like, I just have it as a spare for myself in case it ever goes again on my bike as well. Such an annoyance!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Interesting... the battery is cooked, bulging, and appears to be the source of the smell. I thought I installed it last fall, but it was last spring. It is a Shorai LFX18A1-BS12, and I bought it 4/18/16. I also bought the Shorai battery charger / maintainer. All seemed happy and normal with the system...

The VR looks fine to me... but that is purely a visual thing. I'm not sure how to test it.

So, I guess my newest question(s) is (are): Has anyone else had a Shorai battery do this to them? Do you think this is the cause of my problem, or just a symptom of it? I don't want to cook another battery... and installing a new Shorai every year will get expensive.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Interesting... the battery is cooked, bulging, and appears to be the source of the smell. I thought I installed it last fall, but it was last spring. It is a Shorai LFX18A1-BS12, and I bought it 4/18/16. I also bought the Shorai battery charger / maintainer. All seemed happy and normal with the system...

The VR looks fine to me... but that is purely a visual thing. I'm not sure how to test it.

So, I guess my newest question(s) is (are): Has anyone else had a Shorai battery do this to them? Do you think this is the cause of my problem, or just a symptom of it? I don't want to cook another battery... and installing a new Shorai every year will get expensive.

I have that same battery for almost a full year and will say that I think my battery is happy with the Shorai battery charger but after seeing yours I must say I'm nervous now. I will tear down the left side and inspect it this weekend. Sorry for the death of your battery but you may have saved someone else.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts

Soo in my opinion I would get rid of the shorai (only bc they kept dying and kept eating through my sprags/starter clutches, not bc they were blowing up) and yes that was probably your main problem. I went through like 2-3 of them on my bike in less than a year, others have had better luck I just never did. I went with an antigravity battery and have had the best of luck ever since.

Sorry to hear of the misfortune and glad to see that your bike didn't catch on fire and you didn't get hurt fella. The problems it could of caused after this might be the headlight relay going bad which is supposed to protect the rest of the system from a over voltage condition or something like that. Goodluck fella!!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
You know, I wonder if your stator is messed up. Like the whole charging system, it might not be just the shorai itself. It definitely is indicative of an overcharging condition which the VR is supposed to filter out, if I remember correctly. Shoot me a pm and I'll reply with an idea I have later today, I just can't do it right now with where I'm at.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I already ordered a new Shorai battery.

I will order a VR... but I am debating OEM vs. aftermarket. What is the best VR out there for the 1198s? I have been reading that the OEM VR's are prone to failure, but I did get 7 years out of this one (...but only 2400 miles). I have also seen reviews of after market VR's that have crap reviews. So, I feel like I'm damned if I do, and damned if I don't... suggestions???

I want a plug and play option... I don't want to have to modify anything - that is definitely beyond my skill set.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Shorai warranty department are real cool. If it's under warranty, they replace it . If it isn't, they still offer you a severely discounted price that beats out any online price. I had that where mine looked fine but read 0.0v and wouldnt take a single mA of charge. I had it off the Shorai tender for maybe a month. No idea if I forgot and left the bike on :) Bottom line, new battery and it was cheap.

I have that exact same battery in my 1098S track bike. Cant say that it wont happen again, but Shorai is huge lots run them. I guess u could call them and see the price and evaluate if you want to take another chance with them.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts