Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, I recently had an unfortunate incident, due to my extreme stupidity. While doing about 160 mph on the highway, my front tire lost pressure, and I did not listen to what my bike was telling me (felt quite unstable). Instead of immediately but gradually stopping, I only slowed down to about 135. After some 30 seconds, front tire came apart at 130, and I see myself riding on my front bare wheel, and by bare I mean I'm riding on the metal. Managed to keep it upright for 5-6 seconds and sort of lowsided and slid quite some distance on the highway. Fortunately, the damage to the bike is not too great. The most expensive item is the front marchesini (2010 1198s), and I am looking for a replacement. I am considering going for the base 1198 wheel (enkei?). Stupidly, my 3 week old (to me) 1198s was not insured, so the cost difference is huge (I live outside the US so I need to imoort the wheel, which makes the marchesini very expensive even if used). My question is, will the dtc work with the different wheel? I am willing to forego the agility of the lighter forged wheel, but I do need the dtc to work in order to ride confidently.
I have done some research with inconclusive results, so I thought I'd ask the experts...

·
Registered
377 Posts
DTC uses the special buttons on the rotors, so if you retain the rotors on that side, or rpleace with DTC type rotors if you have to, it will work.
Dave

·
Registered
12,892 Posts
DH has it right. The DTC buttons are on the rotors so just swap yours on to whatever wheel you get and you're fine. You could probably source a good condition forged alu from Ebay for your bike.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DTC uses the special buttons on the rotors, so if you retain the rotors on that side, or rpleace with DTC type rotors if you have to, it will work.
Dave
DH has it right. The DTC buttons are on the rotors so just swap yours on to whatever wheel you get and you're fine. You could probably source a good condition forged alu from Ebay for your bike.
Thanks guys! That saves me a lot of money so it's a relief.

You went down at 130 mph and the only thing damaged was the front wheel??
Well the most expensive one was the wheel, also the the left mirror and shift lever dissapeared, and the left handlebar and kickstand were ground down about an inch. Also left middle fairing with extensive and deep road rash, as well as front fairing on the side. Also as the tire disintegrated, it tore the CF front mudguard and brake line. Bike starts fine (with car battery as I left it unused for 4 months), but is stuck on 5th/6th now. Need to turn the rear wheel a little to get it to neutral (I hope that does it), but haven't been able to as the front fork is supported by a car tripod like thing (non native speaker and it's late so I can't remember what they're called). Been riding my 800ss lately but I want my black supermodel back! The rest of the damage was to my body, which did not suffer that much thanks to a good Dainese jacket and shoei x-12. Unfortunately I was so exited to ride my new toy (had had it for a total of 3 weeks) that I was wearing shitty gloves and motorcycle jeans so total body damage was a broken collarbone, rashed leg, and badly rashed pinky with an exposed bone. The leg and pinky totally preventable with proper gear which I had but wasn't wearing. Very very stupid, I know. If anyone wants to see the video I can post the link, as I had my GoPro with me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Correct. 160mph on a freeway is squid territory. I'm actually surprised you weren't wearing a singlet and flip-flops.
Yeah, I know. In my admittedly feeble defense, it was a desert (and usually deserted) highway outside of a small city in the north of Chile. Not many people there at the times I usually ride, which are weekend mornings until noon or so. At the time of the incident there were some people though, but as the bike was new I wasn't really pushing it. Also no access to track. Still stupid though. About the gear, I was in a hurry to use my new toy, so when the proper gear wasn't handy, just took some enduro gloves. Not an excuse, just an explanation.

Uhhh, count me in. I love revelling in others stupidity!
Haha ok, it's not edited, the fall is near 5:30.

·
Registered
142 Posts
wow. that was intense. sure glad you are okay!! i wont give ya any shit, as i have done some stupid things as well :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
wow! glad you are okay.
wow. that was intense. sure glad you are okay!! i wont give ya any shit, as i have done some stupid things as well :)
Thanks dude and manual. Appreciate the support!

I like that you are taking responsibility for your stupidity. That is refreshing as fuck.

Glad you are OK man!
Ha cool, thanks. Well I've no one to blame but me. The bike told me something was wrong and I didn't listen. If you look closely, you can see me making it wobble, testing stability cause it felt "too light" a couple of times before the fall. Due to stupidity and inexperience, I decided to turn back on the next exit instead of stopping immediately. I am wiser now, and the lesson was relatively cheap, as I could have paid with my life or am arm or something.

WOW! :cry:

Glad you are as OK as you are. It could have been a lot worse.
Thanks man, it definitely could have. Had this happened on a bend, I'd be dead and in pieces most likely. The cops said I slid for 300m (1000ft) based on the slide marks. I was very lucky.

Thanks for the support guys!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wouldn't worry about the wheel to much, sounds like the motor ran a long time on its side, that can't have been good for the engine.
I hope you're wrong mate! Some facts that make me feel positive about the engine:

-based on the relatively minor rash damage, the bike seems to have landed on my leg
-the left fairing is only rashed, not broken
-the engine stayed running even until after I came to a stop, somebody turned it off with the kill switch.
-I've started it with my car's battery two times already, and left it to run for 15-20 min each time for it not to get filled with gunk.
So I really hope you're wrong! :)

The gearbox, on the other hand, is the part I'm afraid for. It is stuck on a gear and won't go into neutral. Although I haven't moved the bike, so I hope when I install a temporary wheel just to be able to move the bike around on the parking lot, that will be sorted out. I don't have insurance, so I'm thinking positive until I have evidence of the contrary!

·
Court Jester
11,817 Posts
Wow! Glad you are ok, but I gotta say the shoes why do the shoes always come off :D

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Yeah I wouldn't worry about the wheel that much. They're not terribly expensive if you buy used. I just sold mine for $200, but that was off a base model. The S wheels will be a bit more if you want to go that route.

I think there are other things to be more concerned about, primarily the engine like CBR said. That's quite some time for the engine to run on its side (oil starvation...not good). I would say it's unlucky that the bike landed the way it did because the rear wheel didn't come in contact with the ground and it didn't stop the engine. The other thing is you didn't stop the engine right away. I would expect it to start fine, my concern would be how long it lasts until it blows itself up now because of all the damage done internally.

If you can't shift it, it's probably because of the shifting fork inside the transmission is bent. That's a common problem with these bikes when crashed on the left side. There are quite a few threads about that and how to fix it on this forum.

Overall, a pretty stupid and unlucky experience. You pretty much lived through everyone's nightmare! I've always been afraid of getting flat tires....I guy I know got a flat tire on his rear on a race track at about 150 mph going into a very fast turn. Somehow he managed to keep it up and then slowed way down and came back in the pits...he pretty much shit himself. Most people aren't that lucky. Always slow down and even stop when you feel something odd that doesn't seem right with the bike!

Live and learn though...we all do stupid shit. I crashed mine (brand new) after 2 days...but at least I was insured ;)

Reactions: discotec

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow! Glad you are ok, but I gotta say the shoes why do the shoes always come off :D
Haha I know, shoes gotta come off! Well in this case the boot was caught under the bike with my foot in it, and when I pulled the boot stayed. Wore it down to the other side! Left a tiny wound the size of a pinhead. Same with the jacket, a Dainese avro c2, wore it to the other side, left a palm sized hole in the leather! :yo:

·
Registered
248 Posts
well, you're about the luckiest motherf*cker on earth, jose.

at the risk of making you eat shit through a straw, there are WAY too many variables on a public road for those sorts of shenanigans. man, just imagine if there was a car in the slow lane ahead of you (you know, like ALL THOSE CARS AND BUSES YOU PASSED). jesus. if you were my kid i would've rubbed a little salt into that pinky of yours.

and FYI - "no access to a track" is a typical squid response to why they were doing 160mph on a public road. like "oh, there's no firing range near my house, so i just go shooting at the local park". i would probably not lean on this as any sort of excuse, explanation, or any other word you want to use to justify your actions.

anyway, now you've got the scars to remind you not to be such a jackass next time. hope you heal up ok.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for sharing and being honest about it all, that is more than what many would do. I have done at least as bad if not worse in my life, I lived and I am glad you did too... no doubt a lot learned in that short few seconds.

Good luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well, you're about the luckiest motherf*cker on earth, jose.

at the risk of making you eat shit through a straw, there are WAY too many variables on a public road for those sorts of shenanigans. man, just imagine if there was a car in the slow lane ahead of you (you know, like ALL THOSE CARS AND BUSES YOU PASSED). jesus. if you were my kid i would've rubbed a little salt into that pinky of yours.

and FYI - "no access to a track" is a typical squid response to why they were doing 160mph on a public road. like "oh, there's no firing range near my house, so i just go shooting at the local park". i would probably not lean on this as any sort of excuse, explanation, or any other word you want to use to justify your actions.

anyway, now you've got the scars to remind you not to be such a jackass next time. hope you heal up ok.

Lol, I genuinely laughed out loud with the "salt in the pinky" comment, as well as the "shooting at the local park" one. I know, pretty foolish, but I think most of us here have done stuff like this. I take no offense though; I read it in a tough love kind of tone. As I said, not trying to justify anything. I know it is idiotic, although I can't say I won't ever do it again, assuming I get my confidence back (my latest rides are filled with the fear that the machine will somehow fail). Thanks for the advice and wishes of recovery!

Yeah I wouldn't worry about the wheel that much. They're not terribly expensive if you buy used. I just sold mine for $200, but that was off a base model. The S wheels will be a bit more if you want to go that route.

I think there are other things to be more concerned about, primarily the engine like CBR said. That's quite some time for the engine to run on its side (oil starvation...not good). I would say it's unlucky that the bike landed the way it did because the rear wheel didn't come in contact with the ground and it didn't stop the engine. The other thing is you didn't stop the engine right away. I would expect it to start fine, my concern would be how long it lasts until it blows itself up now because of all the damage done internally.

If you can't shift it, it's probably because of the shifting fork inside the transmission is bent. That's a common problem with these bikes when crashed on the left side. There are quite a few threads about that and how to fix it on this forum.

Overall, a pretty stupid and unlucky experience. You pretty much lived through everyone's nightmare! I've always been afraid of getting flat tires....I guy I know got a flat tire on his rear on a race track at about 150 mph going into a very fast turn. Somehow he managed to keep it up and then slowed way down and came back in the pits...he pretty much shit himself. Most people aren't that lucky. Always slow down and even stop when you feel something odd that doesn't seem right with the bike!

Live and learn though...we all do stupid shit. I crashed mine (brand new) after 2 days...but at least I was insured ;)

Shit, got me worried now. About the tranny, I'll hopefully pick up the busted wheel with a tube in order to be able to move the bike in the parking lot, so I'll see if i can get it to work. I'll post an update.
Now about that engine, how can I evaluate if there was too much damage without tearing open the engine? Although it ran for a couple of minutes, according to some other threads on this site, it shouldn't be a problem considering it ran on idle the whole time. Any advice?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts