Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine has an 1198s track bike. He put Dunlop Ntec slicks on it. The circumference of the rear tire (195/65R17) seriously jacks up the traction control. He has to turn it down to level one to be able to accelerate at all without it cutting in - in a straight line. Our Ducati dealer "thinks" the Dunlop D.O.T.'s will work, but the Dunlop distributor says the difference in circumference between the slick and the GP is only 7mm. I have a feeling that isn't enough to make a difference, since it is still a lot larger than the stock tire (which is what the TC is programmed to work with).

So I am wondering what you guys run for race tires: what brand/size, and how does it affect the TC? And is the size of the front tire just as important? Because I know there is a sensor up there for the TC as well. And the Dunlop front slick is pretty tall, too. I have a 1098s myself - with the Ntec's on it. No TC, and no problems! But his 1198s is another story.

He and I both have been running Dunlops for years, so he's a little hesitant to change brands to get a smaller tire, but if that's what he has to do... that's what he has to do. Of course he could turn the TC OFF. But he doesn't want to do that either. Figures he might as well USE IT if it's there! Thank you for sharing.

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
i don't race, just track days.....i've found the pirelli superbike slicks an awesome tyre......190/55.............same size as oem so the dtc is good, no one will out ride these tyres

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
748R: Thanks! Pirelli is one of his options, as we do have a track side vendor.

Siberia Sam: Yes, 195/65. Like I said, the Dunlop Ntec slick has a HUGE circumference. We affectionately refer to it as "the beachball".

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I will be riding Power ONE A's. (Michelin.)

I haven't raced them yet, but as a track day tire it is very competent.

I don't have any other track side vendor here at miller besides michelin, so unfortunately that's all I can say about track tires.

Pirelli's have never let me down, ever.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I used on track day Pirelli Dragon Supercorsa, Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa both are amazing, SC1 front and SC2 rear. Now i put Michelin Power One DOT but I didn't try yet. I will try and let you know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts