Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Hello to everyone. I'm new to the forum and to Ducati's so I was hoping to pick some of your brains?!

I bought a 2009 1198s last yr in the winter and cleaned it up ready for this season (i'm from the UK). After it was clean it went to Ducati for a TPS reset as it wont idle until 50 degrees c and the throttle needs to be cracked to start. The bike is fitted with the termi slip-ons, dp air filter and ecu. It was running extremely rich so the CO was also set. I stored it over winter.

This yr it seems to be running rich again (smells very rich), still wont idle at low temp and requires throttle to be cracked open. It's also and absolute dog below 5k rpm when holding constant throttle and is getting 50 - 60 miles before the fuel light comes on when it takes around 9 litres to fill up. I'm not hanging around when riding but also am not killing the bike. i prob spend most time between 5-8k rpm.

When in ducati they thought the ecu may have been 'flashed'. the bike came with the original ecu in a box though.

Any advice as to if this is normal or what to do would be appreciated. I've read up on various forums and there is lots of different opinions. Some people have mentioned a guy on here who is called Chris, i think who seems to be a bit of a guru? Come anyone point me in his direction?

I'm based in the Northwest, UK. Don't really want to put a power commander on as the insurance is then ridiculous.

Thanks!

Ben

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've got a 10' 1198s with a similar setup. I get about 80 miles between warning lights riding mostly softly around town, not much chance to push it without going to the track. If you are hammering it, 60-70mi per fuel load does not sound too far off. Dp ecus do not use a lambda sensors so these things run rich enough "to kill a cat". I did disable the exhaust valve which seemed to help fuel economy slightly. About all you can do without a re-map is keep the plugs clean, use a carbon reducing fuel additive and run the piss out of it when you can.

·
Registered
331 Posts
If you are just running a slip on exhaust you should give the original ecu a try. I have heard of guys running their bikes this way with a little tweaking from the dealer, and the bikes running very well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I think my fuel light may be coming in a bit early too. The capacity is 15L with 4L reserve. The light came on yesterday and I could only get 9L in suggesting it's coming in a couple of L's early. It's still only doing 24mpg though! Maybe I've been spoilt by getting 35-40mpg out of my gsxr even when thrashing it!

I've found the guy I mentioned and have ordered some cables, adapters and software. I'm going to attempt to dump a copy of my map from the ecu and he have very kindly offered to check it to see if it's correct and take it from there.

Does your bike smell rich when riding? Any probs cold idling or do you have to crack the throttle to start?

My sprag was spinning out lots when I bought it due to low battery. I've charged the battery and made up new thicker battery cables and connections and since then the sprag has only spun out once. Is this considered normal or does the fact it will spin out occasionally mean it's worn?

Absolutely love the bike, when people say bikes have soul I thought they were just talking b£&sh£t but after riding this I can understand. First time I rode it I thought it was trying to kill me! Now I just can't believe how stable, planted and confident it is in the bends. It's an awesome machine, shame I can't ride pas a fuel station!

Thanks guys

·
Registered
92 Posts
You don't mention how many miles are on it. I got an 2011 1198 in 2012 with ~2000miles on it it would guzzle fuel like crazy. Also my like would come on with plenty of fuel left. Now with 7000 miles on it I think the mileage has improved and seems to run a lot smoother. Light still comes on plenty early

·
Registered
95 Posts
I haven't had mine for long, but the light came on at 61 miles at the track (learning the track in the advanced group) and then 89 miles into street riding. I have a DP ECU and slip-ons.

Mine has over 24,000 miles, but a fresh set of belts and the valves checked and shimmed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts