Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys -

I lobbed up to my friendly local Ducati dealer to (hopefully) buy a replacement sump plug for my 1198S. I've read too many stories about stripped out sump plugs, so I wanted to get something with a standard bolt on the base.

They sold me one of these:

http://www.store.commoto.com/ducati-billet-aluminum-fill-plug-p-29232.html

After I double checked, I saw that this plug is actually an oil filler plug, not an oil drain plug... DOH..

I also noticed that after looking around, that the sump plug and the filler plug appear to have the same size head (19mm) and a very similar looking thread.

Can somebody tell me if these are interchangeable? It seems a little silly to use one of these an oil filler plug, and if it can be used on the sump instead that would be great.

Please note I've got an 1198S. I've been reading about deep sumps etc etc, and I'm lost..

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Don't over torque the Nirvana drain plugs. It's in the instructions that nobody bothers to read. They are intended to be safety wired, which is a good idea, anyway.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Hi Guys -

I lobbed up to my friendly local Ducati dealer to (hopefully) buy a replacement sump plug for my 1198S. I've read too many stories about stripped out sump plugs, so I wanted to get something with a standard bolt on the base.

They sold me one of these:

http://www.store.commoto.com/ducati-billet-aluminum-fill-plug-p-29232.html

After I double checked, I saw that this plug is actually an oil filler plug, not an oil drain plug... DOH..

I also noticed that after looking around, that the sump plug and the filler plug appear to have the same size head (19mm) and a very similar looking thread.

Can somebody tell me if these are interchangeable? It seems a little silly to use one of these an oil filler plug, and if it can be used on the sump instead that would be great.

Please note I've got an 1198S. I've been reading about deep sumps etc etc, and I'm lost..

Thanks guys.
As far as stripping bolt issues, you probably have read about the issued people were having with the 4 bolts holding the bottom square plate at the bottom of the deep sump, I believe Ducati has fixed that issue with different bolts all together by using allen socket instead the button head used on earlier models. I'm sure your bike doesn't have that problem.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
As far as stripping bolt issues, you probably have read about the issued people were having with the 4 bolts holding the bottom square plate at the bottom of the deep sump, I believe Ducati has fixed that issue with different bolts all together by using allen socket instead the button head used on earlier models. I'm sure your bike doesn't have that problem.
La Rossa is right. I encountered the problem myself and just replaced them with SS ones. Never had any issues with the drain plug....

·
Registered
789 Posts
Absolutely correct.
Ciao

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I had the same problem with the 4 bolts on my Tri, I ditched the factory crap and countersunk the plate to fit flush mount stainless allen heads. I did this because I have seen a couple of bikes catch the protruding bolts on things and tear a piece out of the crankcase. Usually happens loading onto a trailer or over tall speed bumps...... Nasty/expensive result that won't be happening to mine!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts