Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So just curious, performance wise, track and road use. Which is better? I've read a few articles on both bikes both are pretty amazing and well beyond my skill level on the track but was wondering what you guys think.

·
Registered
38 Posts
personally, i doubt there are many people that can ride fast/hard enough to tell...so its sort of a hard question. Maybe you're better off asking the riders on the Duc moto GP team as to which they would rather use where as they are in the handful of those who can find the difference.

also are we talking old 1199R or the new Pani R?

However if i had to take an uneducated guess:

1299S for road use - extremely friendly in terms of an insane electronics package, better power/torque delivery than the old R

1199R for track use - excellent engine internals and with a tuned system (engine/suspension) not many riders will ever be able to keep up with it (same with 1299S though). I know I definitely can't ride 10% of what the 1199S delivers, let alone the R.

if were talking about the Pani R - i'd buy it on that sweet ass tank alone if i had the cash. It has all the electrics of the 1299S, but a slightly up spec engine to make the same power with less displacement. so really it would be the best all rounder.

The performance i think is definitely going to go to the 1299S - if its 205 crank stock, and the pani R is 205 crank stock at 1198, were talking fairly similar engines, not apples apples but close enough, so approx 8% more displacement on the 1299, surely will get it over the line with a good exhaust and tune. but once again, my first point still stands, who the hell can full throttle either one of these bikes around the track? not many...

As a summary, I think Ducati is presenting the models as the 1299S being a street bike, as close as they can give us to the GP bikes, while the R as a base model to turn into a GP bike if you throw another house deposit at it (or just buy the SL).

don't take my word for it though, just my opinion, i've not yet ridden the new models (1299/Pani R). Perhaps a better question might be as well, which one is the best value for money in terms of performance, track and road use...i think my answers would probably change.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.