Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know for sure if the engine cases are the same for the r model to the s model.
Reason I ask is because I think it would be cool to buy an r engine and put it in an s bike as it would be cheaper than sourcing parts and then time to swap internal to get the titanium bits in
the s bike.

Sent from my iPad using Ducati.org Forum

·
Registered
732 Posts
Does anybody know for sure if the engine cases are the same for the r model to the s model.
Reason I ask is because I think it would be cool to buy an r engine and put it in an s bike as it would be cheaper than sourcing parts and then time to swap internal to get the titanium bits in
the s bike.

Sent from my iPad using Ducati.org Forum
While it may be cool....it would probably be cheaper to sell the S privately & buy an R

·
Registered
374 Posts
Yes, the R engine will physically bolt into a base/S frameless chassis. You will need a different harness and ECU too. While your at it, put the adjustable R swingarm on your 1199S as well.

As RD16RR said though, price will probably be an issue. Although with the 1299 coming out, it won't be long before you can get a smoking deal on R parts.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Yes, the R engine will physically bolt into a base/S frameless chassis. You will need a different harness and ECU too. While your at it, put the adjustable R swingarm on your 1199S as well.

As RD16RR said though, price will probably be an issue. Although with the 1299 coming out, it won't be long before you can get a smoking deal on R parts.
Or a complete R bike :smoking:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is different about the harness I was under the impression it was only internals that were different

·
Registered
2,249 Posts

I think the bike will still run fine with the s harness .

·
Registered
374 Posts
I think the bike will still run fine with the s harness .
W17,

Your probably right, as long as you have R ECU. I was going off the S and R having different part numbers.

-I know the Tri/R have GPS, so it did have a different harness in 2012-2013. I looks like the 2014 S/R have the same part number now though.

-Nick,
What year and model 1199 do you have?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
My $0.02 cents.. sell the S and buy an R

A few 2013R, and plenty of 2014R left overs around -

Reactions: 219R

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I might just keep the s and buy the r anyhow But I haven't had the a long at all though but I can't believe how different from the 999s it is however the 999s is just so nostalgic I don't want to get rid of it either running out of room in the garage

·
Registered
732 Posts
I might just keep the s and buy the r anyhow But I haven't had the a long at all though but I can't believe how different from the 999s it is however the 999s is just so nostalgic I don't want to get rid of it either running out of room in the garage
while they are all fun to have and to hold (look at), if you aren't collecting them, you're probably better off trading/selling it - once you start riding the newer one, there is no looking back - at least thats how its been for me :lovebirds:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.