Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1198s was stolen last week, so I am looking for a new bike.

I have seen a couple 2014 1199s new for 18k. I also saw an 850 mile 2013 1199r w/termi.
And finally, a new 1299s would be the 3rd option.

Any suggestions/tips/insights would be appreciated.
I just ride for fun, no track days. yet. I would probably buy a beater 600 if I were to track it.
The 1199r is appealing because it already has an exhaust and the tank is beautiful.

Does the 1299s have great improvements over the 1199s or r?

I rode a base 1199 in Austin at the dealership about 14 months ago. I really liked the 1199 v the 1198, but not enough to replace my still new to me 1198.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
I would get the 1299S if it were me. While the R models are very sexy I've heard they are considerably more expensive to maintain. The upgraded electronics on the 1299 is what I'd be after. Of course I would use it as a track bike though. With that said go for the new Monster 1200R. But again more expensive to maintain

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
The price of the 1299S and 1199R might be in the same ball park.

There are some good deals on the 1199Rs, especially leftover models.

To each their own.. if you have the coin opt for the 1299S - just my $0.02

·
Registered
355 Posts
I would get the 1299S if it were me. While the R models are very sexy I've heard they are considerably more expensive to maintain. The upgraded electronics on the 1299 is what I'd be after. Of course I would use it as a track bike though. With that said go for the new Monster 1200R. But again more expensive to maintain
There isn't any "R" model - in Ducati's entire Ducati's superbike lineage that is more expensive to maintain than SP, SPS, S or standard models.

Unless you're replacing internals. Only then does it become more expensive. E.g.: titanium conrods, valves, etc. And there are exceptions - like some of the SPs and SPS which have those more expensive internals.

That said, I'd go with the 1299. It's a 100 more ccs. And not as expensive as the R. ;)

Unless you get a used R. Then you'll become a member of club "Exclusive". :)

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Sounds as if I didn't understand a discussion with my dealer. Entirely possible. Would be interesting to hear others opinions as I have never been a member of club "Exclusive"

Maybe I should have used the word repair vs maintain. I wasn't suggesting an oil change, and yes on occasion Ducati's do require repair.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I have had all of those bikes and the 1299 will make a better street bike but the R with lighter internals and the extra RPM at the top makes it a little more fun .the 1299 feels lazy in comparison
The new electronics on the 1299 are nice but not a deal breaker .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.