Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Haven't done any physical measuring, but the specifications on the Ducati website say the 1200S Ohlins are 48mm and both the 821 and 821 Stripe are 43mm.

So my guess would be no. However, if you could get a good 1200 triple tree, you might get that and the forks to fit on an 821.

I have a 1200s with the Ohlins. If you get serious about trying it, I can take any measurements you might need.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haven't done any physical measuring, but the specifications on the Ducati website say the 1200S Ohlins are 48mm and both the 821 and 821 Stripe are 43mm.

So my guess would be no. However, if you could get a good 1200 triple tree, you might get that and the forks to fit on an 821.

I have a 1200s with the Ohlins. If you get serious about trying it, I can take any measurements you might need.
Thanks Smilodon! I measured the outer fork tubes right below/flush with the triple clamps top and bottom and came up at 53mm... seems like a rather odd number, why not 54? I think the 48mm is the slider diameter as I measured my 821s sliders at 43mm. Any measurement you could share with me would be greatly appreciated! I did think about a triple transplant as well. Looks like the above equation sez the Ohlins would be 58mm maybe for the outer tubes

·
Registered
304 Posts
Matrix, mupo, Andreani and another company does fork catridges for the 821. Both the matrix and mupo have two versions. Wouldn't mind betting their more expensive version may well out perform the standard issue ohlins on the 1200

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks Smilodon! I measured the outer fork tubes right below/flush with the triple clamps top and bottom and came up at 53mm... seems like a rather odd number, why not 54? I think the 48mm is the slider diameter as I measured my 821s sliders at 43mm. Any measurement you could share with me would be greatly appreciated! I did think about a triple transplant as well. Looks like the above equation sez the Ohlins would be 58mm maybe for the outer tubes
I'll take that measurement on my bike and get back to you. The factory measurement should be the slider diameter, but it generally drives the outer diameter to some degree as well.

Watkey makes a good point that you can put upscale internals in your existing fork and get similar performance. But not as purdy, though! :laughing:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just an update... So my mupos arrived already and had them installed. The comfort of the ride improved drastically. The bike feel like its floating now and there are less vibrations. It also became more flickable and handles beautifully.

Havent ridden it in twisties yet. id probably do that over the weekend. Cant wait

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sorry for the delay in measuring, but never got me and the bike and the calipers in the same place at the same time.

Anyhow, the Ohlins are between 57 and 58mm as you surmised. They have some steps in them so vary a bit, but regardless, they will be too big for your 821 triple.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry for the delay in measuring, but never got me and the bike and the calipers in the same place at the same time.

Anyhow, the Ohlins are between 57 and 58mm as you surmised. They have some steps in them so vary a bit, but regardless, they will be too big for your 821 triple.
Thanks Smilodon! Guess i'll be getting a cartridge kit :(

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just an update... So my mupos arrived already and had them installed. The comfort of the ride improved drastically. The bike feel like its floating now and there are less vibrations. It also became more flickable and handles beautifully.

Havent ridden it in twisties yet. id probably do that over the weekend. Cant wait
I see you have the stripe model. I'm curious if you did any adjustments to the stock front suspension? I thought mine was dialed in pretty good, but I may look into going with your setup :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.