Ducati.org forum banner

1299s upgrade decisions pls help

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Moose 
#1 ·
Hello everyone

I currently own a 1098s and love it, with all it quirks and grumpiness. Like an old friend that needs a few coffees to get going in the morning but you just know you are in for a full day of fun. It currently rides about as good as I'm going to get it. Have the suspension well sorted as well as low speed manners. Can get 200km before reserve.

I am wanting to put the 1098 into my museum and purchase a 1299s, rather than go all out with a V4 of some kind. Can anyone share any thoughts, good and bad on this? I have not ridden a 1299 yet but love the styling over the V4 and my heart is still with the V-twins. Of course the 1299 will be more collectable in years to come.

Are they fantastic?
Are they hard to live with?
Do they handle well?
Is the throttle response well mannered or strictly ON/OFF?
Is the 2021 & 2022 V4s still the supreme being of all things Ducati?

Cheers

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Not sure I can help in your decision as I haven't rode the V4 but from everything I've read they sound brilliant. I have owned a 998, 1198 and now own a 1199s. between the three I've probably logged 100,000 kms.

I like you love the V twins. The 1299 will be a lot different to your 1098 for sure. I would say the 1098 would feel more raw and old skool in comparison, definitely more seat of the pants torque low down. The 1299 would be a smoother power delivery with it coming alive in the higher rev range when your 1098 would be running out of steam. My favorite bike is still my 998 that I owned for 13 years. All power and torque down low but hits the limiter quickly compared to say a 1199 / 1299, really a traditional pre 2012 Ducati.

Throttle response on the 1199/1299 is good in my experience and they handle beautifully yes.

I really like my 1199 and don't plan on selling it but it's a little too refined and easy to live with lol. I like my 998 which was a little on the wild side and just so much fun and required commitment. Every bone on my body ached after a long days ride but there was something magical about it. Having said that if I rode it today maybe I would feel differently and think it was a dinosaur. Then again you could say that about me. Good luck in your decision.

#3 ·
Thanks for that. Yes have heard they are more refined and not as grunt heavy down low. Not sure how I would take to that.

Is there much difference between the evolution of 1299 models within their lifespan? From a 2015, 2016, 2017 - up till the last runout units were there many critical updates that make the later ones more desirable than the first?

Am asking this as the V4 has had many updates and evolution development. I think if I was to buy a V4 I would go straight to the current 2022 version. Don't want to buy a 2015 version 1299s and then regret it later.

#4 ·
Thanks for that. Yes have heard they are more refined and not as grunt heavy down low. Not sure how I would take to that.

Is there much difference between the evolution of 1299 models within their lifespan? From a 2015, 2016, 2017 - up till the last runout units were there many critical updates that make the later ones more desirable than the first?

Am asking this as the V4 has had many updates and evolution development. I think if I was to buy a V4 I would go straight to the current 2022 version. Don't want to buy a 2015 version 1299s and then regret it later.
I think any 1299 you will benefit from additional torque and power down low compared to my 1199. Of course if you get the Final Edition you will benefit from a little extra power and it's exclusivity. There's also the anniversary edition and R if one of those comes up in your searches. So if I were you I would agree and say either a 2022 V4 or 2016 - 2017 1299.

If it was me I'd go for a 2017 FE 1299 if I could find one. Closest to your 1098 with more refinement and power. Just my 2 cents. When I bought my 1199 I got an amazing deal so no regrets and for me just doing street right now I can't justify selling it for a 1299.

#5 ·
I can relate to your question, having done 99,000 on my 1098S, and having to contemplate where to go from here. Apart from to a new gauge unit...
But I love it. It is way more refined than the older 916 - 998 series, with plenty more power and sophistication, but still 'raw', as others have mentioned. The last series without slipper clutch, traction control etc. A real bike, for people who want to do all of the riding themselves. Not for everyone, but perfect for me. Plenty enough power to lift the front, and spin the rear.
Nothing later is going to feel quite as visceral, but will of course be more refined. And even faster of course, although I am having trouble finding where to use what the 1098 has on the road, never mind something even faster. (We aren't doing the Phillip Island track days anymore). But I don't find my (modified) 1098 runs out of power at higher revs - it grunts all the way until the red lights come on.
I have also contemplated the V4s, but am probably a bit old for 200+ hp. And the fours will never have that low-rev grunt of the older twin. Personally I don't reckon the 1098 is quite ready for the museum yet!
:cool:

#6 ·
Hello everyone

I currently own a 1098s and love it, with all it quirks and grumpiness. Like an old friend that needs a few coffees to get going in the morning but you just know you are in for a full day of fun. It currently rides about as good as I'm going to get it. Have the suspension well sorted as well as low speed manners. Can get 200km before reserve.

I am wanting to put the 1098 into my museum and purchase a 1299s, rather than go all out with a V4 of some kind. Can anyone share any thoughts, good and bad on this? I have not ridden a 1299 yet but love the styling over the V4 and my heart is still with the V-twins. Of course the 1299 will be more collectable in years to come.

Are they fantastic?
Are they hard to live with?
Do they handle well?
Is the throttle response well mannered or strictly ON/OFF?
Is the 2021 & 2022 V4s still the supreme being of all things Ducati?

Cheers
Hi Marsgent ,
Are they fantastic ? …..Awesome, amazing….. my most recent ride had me laughing out loud while I was riding !

Are they hard to live with ? …. 1. The only modern bike I’ve owned that needs to be warmed thoroughly before setting off through local 50 kph zone en route to twisties ( full Akra system ,apologised to neighbours)…2. Hot seat during summer months (28 degrees c and above), it’s my winter bike , perfect no hot seat and keeps kilometres low .

Do they handle well ? ….Absolutely! 193kg WET , is it still the lightest superbike ? with the electronic suspension can be set to nearly “plush” on the road. Simple 2015 version firms front when braking and firms rear when accelerating , and different modes with different levels of firmness (I’m no expert this is just my understanding/ simple explanation)

Is the throttle response well mannered or strictly ON/OFF ?…..Well mannered , very nice .Smooth all the way from 4,000 rpm . Remember this is the last of the L Twin Panigale Flagship , it is my belief that Ducati pulled out all the stops to get this bike right , because it’s the last BIG TWIN , sure they make a V2…….not even worthy of a mention really after riding my mates V2 ,disappointing.

Is the 2021 2022 V4s still the supreme being of all things Ducati ?

Probably if you are going to race it . I was asked at the local cafe “ Is it the V4 ?” , I replied “No , that’s what Aprilia’s are for “

Marsgent do yourself a huge favour and buy the best one you can find with a full exhaust system fitted , not only are they the last of the line , they are a brilliant bike to ride making a perfect equation for future value.

kind regards , 860 (Andy)

#7 ·
Thanks again guys for the welcome responses. Awesome to hear.

I have eyes on a 2017 - 1299s with Akra cans fitted from dealer with map fitted. Not full system though - would it make a huge difference? Its imac condition, low kms and in market price territory. Had doubts about the service history and where it originated from but I have all sorted that now.

So the big thing for me now is HEAT! And how to minimise it?

You see I took a V2 Panigale for test ride today in 28-30C ambient and shit did my boys feel the heat thru the seat! Lucky I'm beyond caring about having children but I think my sperm count just depleted to zero.

WTF can be done with heat shields and exhaust wrap to tame that down? Any ideas out there? Not a pleasant experience even when cruising at 100 - 120km, still massive amount of heat!

My 1098 gets a blast of hot air around the legs and that's about it. Very tolerable even on hot days. Don't feel anything on the colder days.

and BTW - yes the V2 was very very disappointing. Throttle was like a light switch and no grunt like the 1098 - I really mean like there was nothing to get excited about apart from the looks. Very pretty bike. All revs, very highly strung and bit jittery on the road. My first go with a quick shifter also and didn't appeal to my old skool senses but I guess is the way of the future. Everything has to have a quick shifter these days or nothing would sell.

BTW - also tried the new Triumph speed triple RR. Looking at the specs and linear torque curve i thought it would be a fun grunt machine but no. Disappointing also even in full-on Track mode. The throttle needs to twist about half way around before anything happens. Bit scary going around corners as you never quite know when the power is going to kick back in. Have to get back on the gas very early. Nice frame and chassis though, very nimble. If I could put my 1098 engine in that Triumph chassis it would be a very interesting combo.

I'm looking for something with some modern sophistication and smooth but effortless grunty power delivery. Some would say go try a Multistrada - but I just can't stand the look of them. It would be like marrying an ugly woman just for her good cooking. You need to be happy when waking up in the morning. I've also sat on the new Tuono 1100 Factory and RSV, but the standard ride height set up is just way too tall for my 5'8" stature and I wouldn't feel safe stopping anywhere on a slight side incline. The 1299 actually sits similar to my 1098 but lower than the V2 - that fuel tank in the groin was tortuous also.

When you look out in the morning those lines of the 1098 and 1299 are just so beautiful and elegant. I do like the Italian ladies.

regards

#8 ·
Thanks again guys for the welcome responses. Awesome to hear.

I have eyes on a 2017 - 1299s with Akra cans fitted from dealer with map fitted. Not full system though - would it make a huge difference? Its imac condition, low kms and in market price territory. Had doubts about the service history and where it originated from but I have all sorted that now.

So the big thing for me now is HEAT! And how to minimise it?

You see I took a V2 Panigale for test ride today in 28-30C ambient and shit did my boys feel the heat thru the seat! Lucky I'm beyond caring about having children but I think my sperm count just depleted to zero.

WTF can be done with heat shields and exhaust wrap to tame that down? Any ideas out there? Not a pleasant experience even when cruising at 100 - 120km, still massive amount of heat!

My 1098 gets a blast of hot air around the legs and that's about it. Very tolerable even on hot days. Don't feel anything on the colder days.

and BTW - yes the V2 was very very disappointing. Throttle was like a light switch and no grunt like the 1098 - I really mean like there was nothing to get excited about apart from the looks. Very pretty bike. All revs, very highly strung and bit jittery on the road. My first go with a quick shifter also and didn't appeal to my old skool senses but I guess is the way of the future. Everything has to have a quick shifter these days or nothing would sell.

BTW - also tried the new Triumph speed triple RR. Looking at the specs and linear torque curve i thought it would be a fun grunt machine but no. Disappointing also even in full-on Track mode. The throttle needs to twist about half way around before anything happens. Bit scary going around corners as you never quite know when the power is going to kick back in. Have to get back on the gas very early. Nice frame and chassis though, very nimble. If I could put my 1098 engine in that Triumph chassis it would be a very interesting combo.

I'm looking for something with some modern sophistication and smooth but effortless grunty power delivery. Some would say go try a Multistrada - but I just can't stand the look of them. It would be like marrying an ugly woman just for her good cooking. You need to be happy when waking up in the morning. I've also sat on the new Tuono 1100 Factory and RSV, but the standard ride height set up is just way too tall for my 5'8" stature and I wouldn't feel safe stopping anywhere on a slight side incline. The 1299 actually sits similar to my 1098 but lower than the V2 - that fuel tank in the groin was tortuous also.

When you look out in the morning those lines of the 1098 and 1299 are just so beautiful and elegant. I do like the Italian ladies.

regards
Heat is a ‘thing’ on a 1299…
Is it a show stopper?… not for me. I’ve only ridden my 1299 in the Middle East, and it’s hotter in Saudi than it was in the UAE. As long as your not commuting or spending too long at traffic lights or stopped I don’t find it something I can’t cope with, but that could be a big ‘but’ for you. I have no heat shielding. I do have a CF exhaust cowl… but that didn’t make any noticeable difference to me over standard. I also have the Akropovic slip ons… they noticeably reduced running temps… I’d say maybe as much as ten degrees centigrade…but I’m often running in 40-45C air temps here.
I wouldn’t let the heat put you off…it’s a fantastic machine, you’ll love it, and will adapt to the heat!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.