Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done this? I've just ordered one as my bike is happiest at 140-150 kmph and Mr Plod would like me to go a tad slower.

·
Registered
159 Posts
not doing it myself but getting it done at next 1000km service.. Did the same on my 998 and if made a huge difference :D

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had the 14t counter sprocket done when they were prepping my 1098. So I can't say how big a difference it is. But the bike feels good around town, which is why I lowered the gearing.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Going up one tooth on the front sprocket will give you better acceleration at the expense of top speed. For those that think the bike has enough acceleration, it will also help with smoother starts in first gear. Many feel that if you do not need the top speed, the 14 tooth front sprocket will give you better drivability.

CAG

·
Registered
79 Posts
If you drop a tooth in the front, or go up in the rear, it will help acceleration and lower top speed. I think you guys had it backward before (not trying to be a d!ck)

·
Registered
152 Posts
rettags said:
If you drop a tooth in the front, or go up in the rear, it will help acceleration and lower top speed. I think you guys had it backward before (not trying to be a d!ck)

AGREE !!! :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got the 14th front sprocket yesterday cost over $70 as for going up at the rear I would prefer this as I believe it would save on chain wear but the price of rear sprockets for single side swing models is outragous it's cheaper to buy chain and sprocket kit at $360 than $280 for just sprocket.(approx.AU$ ) so front it is. I did this on my monster and it was great. I'm led to believe they gear them tall for sound pollution checks or something.

·
Registered
134 Posts
slob said:
Got the 14th front sprocket yesterday cost over $70.
Did you go for the gold plated version? Mine only cost $40. Maybe they were just taking pity on my cos they know I'm a cheap ba$tard...

It's a good mod, eh?

·
Registered
101 Posts
So if you go up a tooth in the front you gain acceleration but loose top speed. And if you go down in the front you loose acceleration and top speed but get more torque?

·
Registered
328 Posts
kumacrz said:
So if you go up a tooth in the front you gain acceleration but loose top speed. And if you go down in the front you loose acceleration and top speed but get more torque?
My mistake. DOWN in front and UP in rear= more acceleration, less top speed.

·
Registered
179 Posts
That is mos definitely a mod I would do. Acceleration is where its at. Even at tracks. Top speeds matter much less. Its always more fun in the twisties than in just a straight line. Thanks for all the info guys. Truly I have learned a lot more in the few days I have been a member here than I would have otherwise.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay last time I had one of these it was on my old bevel, the monster had a plate. The 1098 has a Big nut 32mm I think and it's VERY TIGHT. Is it left hand thread or right hand thread. I've had the thing down the tyre change place and even a truck impact wrench wouldn't look at it. I hope I'm not going the wrong way.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Are you talking about the nut on the rear? If so, and if it is anything like the MV Agusta it is right hand thread and torqued to about 160lb/ft. (It's on that tight!)

CAG

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Are you talking about the nut on the rear? If so, and if it is anything like the MV Agusta it is right hand thread and torqued to about 160lb/ft. (It's on that tight!)
Nut holding front sprocket on.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is Very Very tight believe me. I broke one socket bar trying and was very worried I wqas going the wrong way. It did come in the end (LEFTY LOOSEY) Big bar, heat, and a mate.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just takes top end speed away and gives more power in first/second on take off. As far as extra revs there isn't. I can comfortably run in top gear at 120kmph at about 4500, which suits me. If I want to run at a track where I have a long straight I'd drop the 15 in the front, but my time is spent on public roads take off are a lot smoother and I'm not accidently running at 140kmph which I was with the higher gearing.

14 tooth up front is great, I love it, best and cheapest mod you can do. Give it a go.

·
Registered
308 Posts
slob does (LEFTY LOOSEY) mean its a left hand thread ? Don't want to break my t-bar.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts