Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
After reading about everyone raving about the 14T front sproket mod for their 848s I asked my local dealer about the mod. They advised against it as it would cause the speedometer to over read and result in more miles on the bike than actually are.
Any comments or thoughts?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just kidding ;P

But your dealer smokes crack.

The speedometer takes its reading from the rear wheel sensors. Changing sprockets won't affect absolute wheel speed or mileage.
Thanks, I'll query his smoking preferences. :smoking:

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Yes this is an error on the part of the dealer.

There have been some bikes which read the speed off the gearbox, where a change of final gearing could affect speed readings, but on our bikes the fact the speed sensors are on the back wheel (rear disc) means the readings won't be affected.

But be aware that going to a 14T front sprocket closes the gear ratios together, and you'll be changing gears more often.

A lesser change (like one more tooth on the rear wheel sprocket) might give a better result. And there is a lot of unsprung weight to be lost by going to an alloy rear sprocket.

Just sayin..

:eek:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm,
Decrease the front or increase the back? That is the question. I just want a more usable, traffic friendly, 1st gear. I'm driving in town traffic sometimes and feel like I'm burning through my clutch with all the slipping I'm having to do. I'm not racing and pushing the bike hard so 6th hardly gets used.

·
Banned
263 Posts
Yes this is an error on the part of the dealer.

A lesser change (like one more tooth on the rear wheel sprocket) might give a better result. And there is a lot of unsprung weight to be lost by going to an alloy rear sprocket.

Just sayin..

:eek:
Pat I respect your opinion more than most on here...
but would it not be more beneficial to take a big dump before a ride than a light weight rear sprocket ? :p
would even the average rider even notice the difference?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts