Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking for others to help me confirm my suspicion about my chain wear.

I bought my '11 848 Evo with just over 10k miles on it. Based on paperwork from the Ducati dealership the previous owner did a chain and sprocket conversion at 1,058 miles. 15T steel front, 44T alloy rear with a DID 520 ERV3 120 chain.

I noticed on deceleration this spring that the chain was slapping the top of the swingarm a bit. I figured it was time to tighten it up. I loosened the 10mm bolts and tried to crank the hub counter-clockwise to tighten it up, but it will not budge. I can turn it clockwise though, which leads me to believe that it is all the way tightened.

I have just over 14k miles on the bike so that puts the chain at roughly 13K miles. Safe to assume that the chain is fully stretched and it is time for a new one? I also found it interesting that a 120 chain was purchased and they cut it down to a 102.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
I've had a chain last about 17k miles...that was on a bike with much less torque than our 848's. So, Id say replace it with another 520!

Good luck, let us know which chain you decide on...I may need to replace mine this season too.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
You got good life out of it. Sounds about time to toss it. Most places sell boxed chains with 120 links because most bikes take from 98 links to 118 links so rather than having to cut chains to proper length, it's easier just to box em all at 120 and have the customer cut it themselves.

We can get then in whatever length a customer wants but we get charged to cut a 120 down to whatever is needed. That gets passed to the customer.

Just a heads up.......if you're not racing the bike I might suggest going back to the OEM 525 and switch to a 14T x 39T also. You'll get longer life. My OEM 525 set up went 40,000K but I am religious about maintenance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info guys. I moved the hub so the sprocket is about 1/4 inch off the swingarm (read that somewhere on here when going to a larger rear sprocket) and the chain is now extremely loose so that is another reason to replace it.

The sprockets look pretty good still so I am wondering if it is absolutely necessary to replace those if i am going with the same chain as a replacement. When i mean pretty good the top of the teeth are still poking through the links a bit and are still pointed.

I have the 15k service coming up and do not want to double the efforts if i do not have to. $$$

**Edit** I have only put 4k on it and i am not sure about the previous owners maintenance, but due to ignorance I did not clean or lube it once last season. Needless to say now that i know I will be pretty religious about it too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I noticed on deceleration this spring that the chain was slapping the top of the swingarm a bit. I figured it was time to tighten it up. I loosened the 10mm bolts and tried to crank the hub counter-clockwise to tighten it up, but it will not budge. I can turn it clockwise though, which leads me to believe that it is all the way tightened.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.