Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone has some pointers on how to loosen the fuel tank on the '16 1200 MTS without a complete undress. Thought I'd install my Healtech QS kit today - simple task, right??

Of course, the install is a no brainer. The trouble is getting to the fuel injector connectors that are literally buried under the left side of the tank. Healtech has a nice video that suggests one can wiggle those connectors out from under the tank. My hat is off to that gentleman because my spindly little fingers had no luck whatsoever.

Attached are a picture of what I'm trying to get at (photo courtesy of Ecoyne @ .ms forum).

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The deafening silence forced my hand and I'm pleased to report it wasn't as bad as originally thought. In the interest of helping some other poor soul who ventures down this path, Here are the steps I followed to gain enough access to reach the injector connectors (note just 3,4,5mm allen keys and T-25 (I think) Torx bit required):

1. Seats off
2. Plastics under the seat off (both sides) - 3 allen bolts and lift over forward frame post to slide out
3. Remove Carbon fiber bit around key hole by lifting out (no tools required)
4. Remove Carbon fiber that extends around to front by undoing 2 allen bolts per side, flex slightly outboard then forward to free
5. Loosen lower faring - note there are two vertically mounted screws accessed from the ground looking up
6. Loosen "beak" and tank shroud by removing the allen bolts (two different size heads 4/5mm)
7. Remove faring that blocks undertank area (3 allen bolts) then lift upwards to unhook
8. Loosen tank - Up by the false key area, there are 2 5mm bolts on either side of the key, on the back of the tank there are two brackets that hold the tank down. Back out the two torx bolts per side and remove the brackets.

That's it. Should give you enough flexibility to access the fuel injector plugs. Note I found it extremely helpful to have an assistant lift the tank while I was fiddling with the plug. Also, a tank closer to empty is better than lifting an extra 20lbs of gas.

BTW, the QS works flawlessly up and down on the first two rides. I'm pleased.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Air Filter Replacement...

I did the same teardown this weekend to swap out the original OEM air filter for a fresh K&N on my 2015 MTS/S. As you mentioned, an empty tank is lighter than a full one. Was running on fumes prior to starting work.

As I didn't have anyone available to help out, I sat the tank down where the seat goes and steadied it with one of the city garbage bins.

Just curious, does your bike have a 'diaper-looking' pad that sits between the bottom of the tank and top of the air box? Mine does... ahh... did... got pissed off at it when I was trying to remount the fuel tank... kept sliding around on me. As it was 37°c at the time, my patience level was Critically low... so I left it off. Do you have any clue as to why Ducati put it there? The tank is secure without it... so I'm at a loss.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the write up, I had the same issue accessing the plug under the tank, very painful but got there in the end. After first ride, seems a little clunky 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd... what settings work well for you?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.