Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That is how much the dealership said it was going to be to fix my bike! I think they are just trying to make some money off of the insurance company. There is no way there is that much damage to the bike. Oh well, I guess if you want to ride Italian you have to get used to things being expensive.:cry:

·
Registered
732 Posts
That is how much the dealership said it was going to be to fix my bike! I think they are just trying to make some money off of the insurance company. There is no way there is that much damage to the bike. Oh well, I guess if you want to ride Italian you have to get used to things being expensive.:cry:
why are you upset? let them "insurance pay it"
thats why you pay them every month.

·
Registered
101 Posts
"why are you upset? let them "insurance pay it""

Demon, I wonder where the insurance company is going to get the money to pay that claim. Does it come from the government? Does it come from God?

No, it comes from the premiums WE pay!

Think abvout it.

Do you think your insurance company is the Easter Bunny?

We all pay for all that shit the you don't care about when your insurance campany "pays it"

Pull your head out of your ass and wake up.

·
Registered
732 Posts
"why are you upset? let them "insurance pay it""

Demon, I wonder where the insurance company is going to get the money to pay that claim. Does it come from the government? Does it come from God?

No, it comes from the premiums WE pay!

Think abvout it.

Do you think your insurance company is the Easter Bunny?

We all pay for all that shit the you don't care about when your insurance campany "pays it"

Pull your head out of your ass and wake up.
you sound like a tax slave, your are getting it either way. and you will have to pay them for it "forcefully"it ain't democracy. so the guy pays his premium like everyone else and the insurance company increase everyones insurance because they are thief's, just like your government. simple enough texas boy?

more simple, your 200 pay check a week, do you think your bank keeps it for
you so you can withdrew it? nope they invest it without asking you, "they are only required by the FEDs" to keep 20% of the deposit to any account" and they
will return your money, and they made profit either ways. hint "like insurance companies".

·
Registered
250 Posts
Tex, I don't think I understand your point. So, my state says I have to have insurance on my bike. I pay a fairly large bill to them every month. I never make a claim. I keep paying, and they keep spending the money I'm paying. So, where did my money go? To God? To the Easter Bunny? I mean, I paid it to someone, right? So, when I finally do wreck my bike, you're saying I shouldn't claim it? I should just pay for the damage myself? Then after I pay for the damage and get my bike back, I keep paying insurance, because I have to. But when I need it, I should never use it?
Why would we pay insurance then never use it? Where did my money go? YOU are paying for the claims? What about ME? What am I paying for?

Not only is your logic flawed, but you're being a jerkoff about it.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
If that were me? I'd take the insurance money, buy the bike back, and have 2 Ducati's within a month. Done and Done!
+1

How can it be that much to fix the bike? I hope "fix" means total at this point...

Jason

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The total included all new plastics and a complete front end. Frame was fine. I told my insurance company that if they are going to write it off I want to buy it back. I priced out a few things and doind the work myself I was at a grand total of $6500. I would say that is a pretty cheap Ducati. I still think that the dealership is trying to make a buck. If it was any of us that went in there and we told them we were going to pay for it out of pocket, I guarantee you that the price would be a lot lower. No wonder premiums are so high.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Wow, $6500? I bet you could do it for a lot less than that! Look around the classifieds here and on other sites. I see Ohlins forks for $2000, rims, rotors, shocks, etc... You could turn it into an S for less than $6500. Plastics? Get yourself some Sharkskinz and get them painted for a total of maybe $1200.

Not certain what the Canadian laws are. Here in Pennsyltucky you can spend $250 to go through a special inspection. If the bike is set back up to stock and passes this inspection your title is reclassified as "Rebuilt" instead of salvage. This title can be registered with the state just like a clean title.

Think about THAT for a moment. Collect a check for $17,000 minus the buy back cost. Spend another...okay $6500...on repairs to get the bike legal again. And you've just bought yourself a 1098 at a 66% discount. Not bad.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The laws up here are pretty much the same, get the inspection and it is listed as repaired. MSRP up here is 19995 so I will get that back because I only had 550km on it. I will turn around and buy it back and buy a new one. I was looking at suspension and I am torn between ohlins or marzocchi. Any ideas?

·
Registered
15 Posts
The dealer's estimate is to make you whole. I'm assuming your bike is fairly new. They are pricing how much to get your bike back to new. When my first bike was totaled, you wouldn't have thought it was that bad. The dealer wanted to replace the frame because the mounting tab for the radiator was bent. I'm sure the bike could have been fixed and broken parts replaced for around $5000. But the dealer felt that i had effectively a brand new bike and they wanted me to have exactly that. I was happy that the bike was totaled because of the stories I read on these forums about people waiting months for parts. in my case it was a hit and run so the insurance claim isn't going to hurt me.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
So, my state says I have to have insurance on my bike. ... I keep paying insurance, because I have to. ...
FWIW, the state only requires you to have liability insurance, to cover any damage you might cause to someone else's property. You are not required by the state to have insurance coverage for your own property (comprehensive &/or collision), though you would be required to purchase such coverage by any lien holder (i.e., the bank).

·
Registered
732 Posts
FWIW, the state only requires you to have liability insurance, to cover any damage you might cause to someone else's property. You are not required by the state to have insurance coverage for your own property (comprehensive &/or collision), though you would be required to purchase such coverage by any lien holder (i.e., the bank).
Such deals will break your back, and the way insurance companies are setup is that you get more bang for the buck with full coverage. unless of course you live in a city by your self. I don't mind those insurances but
to be required to operate such a vehicle is just plain b.s.

Glad to hear you are resolving the issue, I know a
guy who had an auto accident and the insurance
is still giving him hard time to fix it 2 months after the accident.

·
Registered
250 Posts
FWIW, the state only requires you to have liability insurance, to cover any damage you might cause to someone else's property.
100% true. The state says that I have to have liability. I'd be foolish to not have more than that on a bike that cost as much as my Duc, plus costs asmuch to repair. Its my choice to have full coverage. My point remains thought. I'm not screwing other people over by lawfully using the service I've been paying for. Not scamming them, or mis-using it. Just using the service I pay for.

·
Registered
732 Posts
100% true. The state says that I have to have liability. I'd be foolish to not have more than that on a bike that cost as much as my Duc, plus costs asmuch to repair. Its my choice to have full coverage. My point remains thought. I'm not screwing other people over by lawfully using the service I've been paying for. Not scamming them, or mis-using it. Just using the service I pay for.
+1

·
Premium Member
2,751 Posts
Hidden insurance costs

My point remains though: I'm not screwing other people over by lawfully using the service I've been paying for. Not scamming them, or mis-using it. Just using the service I pay for.
nitsuj,

You're point is well-made, but not entirely accurate. You're right that you've paid for a product/service, (insurance), and if you file an accurate claim, you're lawfully using the product/service you paid for. But if you file a claim, the cost of your insurance claim is not borne soley by you. You'll bear the bulk of the cost, (in the form of increased premiums), but insurance premiums are based on regional trends, which means that your claim could, (especially in conjunction with other filed claims), cause everybody's premiums to be increased.

One thing is certain: The insurance company never loses money. They always get their money back. It's how the insurance industry works. If you file a claim, they get their money back from you by raising your rates and they get their money back from the rest of us by raising our rates. That's why, (assuming you can afford to), it's always cheaper to self-insure. Of course, this requires that you not have a lein on the title, 'cause the lein-holder always requires full-coverage insurance as a condition of the loan.

I've posted on this subject before and I know many of you don't agree, but it is what it is. Check out the facts. Tex is absolutely right: The insurance company is not the Easter Bunny, and the insurance company never loses money. When you file a claim we all pay. You pay more than the rest of us, but we all pay. I wouldn't go so far as to say you're, "screwing us," by filing a claim, but you're being naive if you think the rest of us aren't paying for that claim. We are.

Elton

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
... I'm not screwing other people over by lawfully using the service I've been paying for. Not scamming them, or mis-using it. Just using the service I pay for.
I don't disagree with you that, if I had a huge repair bill in my hand, I would file a claim with the insurance company. I, too, would insist that my new bike be restored to a "new" condition. That's why we have insurance. But I would think twice about filing a claim for a grand or two, since I would wind up paying that a few times over in higher premiums. The insurance industry is legalized gambling and, like Elton said, a bad claim history on a particular vehicle or demographic WILL raise everyone's rates. That's not a reason not to utilize a service you've paid for, but it's naive to think it doesn't affect everyone else.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I can totally believe that number. Adding up individual parts is always going to cost an insane amount. In fact, I bet if you built a 1098 from scratch using the parts books, you'd be at way over $30K USD.

Back in the day, when I wrecked my 916, which was a tumble, and it was beat up but could have been ridable for a few thousand. The dealer stopped totaling the insurance estimate at $19K, and the bike only cost $16K new.

If you really don't think it would be that expensive to make it ridable, see what you can buy the total back from the insurance company for, fix it, and then maybe just keep it as a track bike. Use your insurance check for another for the street or get something else like a supermoto.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts