Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently got back into Ducati. I just purchased an 03 999. (first duc was a monster s4r). Has anyone run a 190/60 rear with stock setup? Any issues?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

The 190/60 is not a problem at all, the stock tire is a 190/50. The "60" sidewall height, won't effect how it fit's, it will just raise the rear of the bike up slightly. You can compensate for this by lowering the rear a tiny bit, maybe 10mm or so using the adjustable ride height bar.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I run the 180/60 Supercorsa SC on mine. It's 193mm wide. The speedo is absolutely spot-on with this tyre diameter as well.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I run the 180/60 supercorsa as well but because of the length of my chain I need to keep the gearing at 15/36 as the axle needs to be pretty far back so you won't touch the swingarm in the front. I think I have about 7mm which just lets a set of tire warmers fit. Just keep that in mind. Great tire btw

·
Registered
62 Posts
No problem at all.

I have a 2005 999. I would recommend the 180/60 though as the feeling you describe of a truck, that's the difference I felt from a 190 to a 180. I won't be going back to 190 now I have tasted the 180.

In all honesty, I think the 200 is purley for looks (a fat rear) and the benifits of a 190 are only obtained at the pointy end of the track day junkie / racer spectrum.

My 2c :)

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
In all honesty, I think the 200 is purley for looks (a fat rear) and the benifits of a 190 are only obtained at the pointy end of the track day junkie / racer spectrum.
I agree the 200's are overkill. From my experience a 190/60 is the optimal tire, super tall sidewall and plenty of width. The 200's add complication related to wheel size and fitment, which doesn't make anyone faster. Over the last few years, superbike racers the world over have switched to 190's and gone quicker, not slower... so there's something to be said about that profile.

·
Registered
124 Posts
When I bought mine the previous owner had put a 180 on the bike. I went with a stock 190-50-17 and like it better. Bike feels more stable. That's just me

·
Registered
150 Posts
When I bought mine the previous owner had put a 180 on the bike. I went with a stock 190-50-17 and like it better. Bike feels more stable. That's just me
I'm getting new tires installed even though the original tires have only 1700 miles on them and appear to be "good".....because it's a 2005, so we know that they are at least 10 years old......they warned me that an old brittle tire could bite you in the ass. so to speak.

This tread reminds me to call them and make sure I'm getting the factory stock tire. My opinion is that the engineers do a great job fitting the bike the first time, unless it really is for show as was done on the Triumph Daytona 955i, which does work better with the 180. But that bike is actually a dated design. The newer bikes seem to favor the 190 and they handle just fine.

Probably personal preference but I do think the bigger tire helps a bit on stability. I learned this by pushing it and getting greedy on my Triuimph, went to a 170 ! I just wanted to see what happened. It is okay, now that I'm used to it, but damn, the skinny tire makes the bike feel like more of a toy and less planted. I can't wait to go back to the 180 or 190 now.

·
Registered
150 Posts
(I read somewhere that Triumph wanted an aggressive look and fitted the 190 to the Daytona 955i)

That kind of marketing I don't need!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts