Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10,941 Posts
I had a '75 750ss - determined never to sell it but had to! D.I.V.O.R.C.E. (need I say more?)

Hang on to it for the rest of us who don't have one! One of the best Ducati's ever made!! It can't be compared to the 'modern' 4 valvers and shouldn't be.

A true classic!
I really miss mine - with conti's on a bevel - truely the best sounding bike ever, period.

It would really spin people out watching me 'tickle' the carbs until fuel ran out of it, then kick starting from the RHS and then to top it off you tell them it is right hand shift as well....gob smacked as they watch you ride away emmitiing that sweet sweet music.

How's your 'electronic' ignition going? Pigs of things I reckon. The only gripe I had with it! To all who aren't familiar - first model with elec ig and wait for it... it had one advance curve (yes 1) and if the stator decided to shit itself, you couldn't start it unless you could spin it fast enough to get into the next curve (> 3500rpm or thereabouts).

"If it has Tits or wheels, you'll have trouble with it"

All bikes need maintenance and I reckon I wouldn't mind owning and maintaining another.

You need to own one of these to truly appreciate where Ducati have come from and where they are now. Some 'new' to Ducati owners can complain about how finicky etc Ducati's are, own and ride one of these for a while and they will appreciate their 'new' Ducati's a whole lot more.

I have only just recently dragged myself into the 'modern' Ducati (916SPS) and am amazed by a few things - water cooling and fuel injection. Marvellous technology. Under that beautiful exterior lies a 'scratch your eyes' she devil.

GOD BLESS DUCATI - Oh i see he/she already has!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I'm sorry to hear about your lost.I completely restored the bike.One of the Transducers would cut out when it warmed up and after checking into it,I installed a DMC electronic system that lets you keep that stock look and works excellent.

As for getting rid of it,there is no chance of that.I enjoy this old babe very much and get more head turning and questions riding this one then my new 1098.Just blow peoples minds when I kick it over.With these Contis,this is the best sounding bike I have ever owned.

Cheers!!!!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi guys,

I've got two of them in various states of disrepair/restoration.
One is actually more or less roadworthy but I need to strip it to get the frame resprayed.
The other one is 75% restored, just need time really!

I'm very interested to know more about the DMC ignition, having had personal experience of the '450cc to 900cc' performance enhancement at 3,500rpm myself.
Luckily the Ducati Elettronica stator was still available back then ;o) (Jeez... 20 years ago!). I'd just rather it didn't happen again.
I rode a friend's MHR with the Bosch system and it definitely fixed the bike's only real failing. Up until then I thought advance/retard was a step function!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I got the DMC from Wolfgang Hearter in BC. He is probably the foremost expert on Laverda.
http://www.angelfire.com/biz/laverda/itcatalog/mainframe.htm[/url]

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks Denis,

After your previous post I did a bit of surfing and discovered they're made in Germany! I haven't tracked down a UK source, but the global marketplace should sort that out ;o)

Once I've got some household stuff sorted I'll get back into them - the current hold-up is availability of stainless wheel wheel spindles and 'proper' replacement brake hoses, i.e., with the rigid section to the front calipers.
Now I said that I've just found a source of stainless gland nuts, so I can make the rigid sections myself using kunifer pipe. John Fallon www.mdinaitalia.co.uk has the flexible sections in stainless with black sleeving, so should look fairly authentic.

Maybe the household stuff can wait....

Cheers,

Andy

·
Registered
10,941 Posts
Guys - I was only thinking about this the other day and remembered something that you may or may not know. The last time I had the stator replaced my mechanic said that they had 'discovered' a kind of, slight of hand fix, which entailed robbing the ignition out of a Pantah motor. Apparently with a little machining the pantah ignition can be slotted straight in without any hassles. I was going to go ahead with this if/when it was needed but of course it was sold before that happened.
If this sounds promising to anyone and would like more info, let me know and I'll chase up some more info from him. He's been spannering Ducati's for the last 30 years and still going strong.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Brett,

Any info would be really useful - the DMC ignition looks the mutt's nuts, but it ain't cheap - especially if I'm fitting two :eek:/

I had a quick look at the Pantah parts book on bevelheaven, and it does look feasible. I'm guessing that the hassle would be the rotor?

Cheers,

Andy

·
Registered
10,941 Posts
Andy & Others who are interested.

Well haven't times changed?
I spoke to my dealer today and he doesn't do the conversion with the pantah ignition anymore.
However - he still does it with a late 80's early 90's SS ignition. Hooray, that would have to be better hey??

Now he is a dealer and of course would prefer to sell you a conversion kit which he has on the shelf so before I could get all the info such as price etc, I could tell he was understandably reticent from there on in.
The info he did tell me was that the ignition and transducers can be 'robbed' from the SS, and possibly better to buy new pickups. He said it could be costly (which is relative I guess) but once done will never have to be done again.
PM me if you would like his email address and contact details. He is more than happy to talk about it.

·
Registered
10,941 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
The DMC (Whitt) works great. Several ignition curves
selected by a switch on the unit.
I have one in my Laverda much much better than the old Bosch CDI.

Wolfgang is a really nice guy, always willing to help out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ignition update

Well guys...

I got the SS on the road, even though it's a little tatty round the edges. If i'd waited until it was perfect it would never see the light of day!

Guess what? the ignition's playing up :(

It's OK until the motor's really loaded, then one cylinder starts dying. I've got spare transducers to play with, but I've already got the message!

I couldn't get a reply from the manufacturer (Uwe Witt), but I tracked down the German agent , OCTeam...Really helpful, but they only do the electronics: Fine for a Bosch ignition, not so good for mine.
No-one seems to do them in the UK, so I've taken Denis's advice and have been in touch with Wolfgang; it looks like he can help me out.

Seems a long way around for a European, but if that's how it is...!

I noticed that ORSP in Italy advertise the stator and rotor to use with Kokusan pickups, and pattern pickups and igniters are available from Electrex World.

This means I could fit a Bosch replica ignition, but ORSP don't seem to want to quote for the parts, and having heard the feedback from here and elsewhere, I'm more than happy to get one from Wolfgang. Hopefully it'll be on it's way before too long.

Anyway, here's a recent pic:

Yep! I loused up the fairing!:jerkoff:

I reckon that once the ignition's fixed and the front pads are changed for something more sporty (any recommendations?) I'll be happy to let the 851 go - this bike matches my limits much better;)

Cheers,

Andy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Andy the bike looks great ! Im sure when your riding her theres nothing quite as satisfying as a bevel that you have worked on. Congratulations. I think the fairing looks quite ok too.
Im looking for a bevel ss myself so my quest continues.

·
Registered
10,941 Posts
B Bogus - I looked at your photo album before I saw this thread. Nice bike - I'm jealous.

Looks like a 75 model with the RHS gear change. Very nice. Rare as rocking horse shit too. Hang on to that one, she's definitely a keeper.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the kind words guys!

I got the Desmo badges on all out of kilter on the fairing, and only noticed after the lacquer coat had gone on:banghead:

I used to sell Jap sports bikes for a living, and none of my customers could understand why I preferred this to ZXR/GSXR clones. I didn't bother trying to explain...

I'm fortunate that my Wife understands, and won't let me sell it - I've now owned the bike for 21 years, so it'd be like losing a limb!

I do have another in progress - yup, another '75 - and I'm taking time to get it right.

What scares me is that a '74 750SS just went for £42K here in the UK :wtf:
The ultimate deterrent to using them properly IMHO

Cheers,

Andy

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey Brett!

I just checked your album and noticed you had a Honda S90.
I was riding one of those when I had my first encounter with the cops:naughty:
Hate to say it about a jap, but; nice little bike!

My ignition system arrived from Wolfgang today, and it was way cheaper that buying it from Germany.
Baffled, but I'm not complaining;)

Open question....Before I cock it up....any advice???
There are more advance curves than tyre options!

Cheers,

Andy

·
Registered
10,941 Posts
Hey Brett!

I just checked your album and noticed you had a Honda S90.
I was riding one of those when I had my first encounter with the cops:naughty:
Hate to say it about a jap, but; nice little bike!

Andy
There's no accounting for taste is there?
Yep she's a little ball biter for a Honda. :p

All original except for the fully enclosed chain guard which I don't have. I've still got it and will restore it one day when I get the inclination. Mind you a decent wash and polish would have it at 90% at he moment. The chrome is a bit daggy though. With a ridiculously miserly mpg, I may have to ride it again one day considering the future cost of petrol.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts