Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an old (1993) Ducati 900ss that's been sat SORN'd in the garage for ages which I now want to get back on the road.

I'm after some advice as to how to get the riding position altered so that it's a lot more "sit up and beg" than race, so am wondering what parts off a 900 Monster (or similar) would fit straight on to the 900ss. Am mainly thinking about the top yoke and the seat unit as a "bolt on" starting place.

I also intend to dump the full fairing and swap out/upgrade the headlight, and then think about the pipes.... they were really loud when it was last ridden (Baines Racing straight through conversion of standard exhausts), so may also consider getting some slightly quieter ones.

Also, bike engine will definitely need a full service, so any recommendations of Ducati mechanics in the Milton Keynes / Bedford area ?

Thanks in advance, and keep the shiny RED side up....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well congratulations on your new project. I would just clean it up and run it as is but that's me. Many of the Monster parts should swap over since they's essentially the same bike. With the fairing removed and the Monster top triple tree installed your riding position would change and you might not need a seat change to get you where you want to be. The monster headlight sub frame may replace the SS piece which would allow you to run the Monster headlight assembly. Although I've never tried it. Carbs, valves, belts, oil and battery, you got it. it'll be an interesting build.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
KW - thanks for the reply. Have found that a company called A-BM in Germany who make a top yoke conversion kit for the 900ss complete with street bars and new hoses too :cool: so that and the exhausts look like they'll be the first things to try out post engine service.

·
Registered
'01 750SS ie
68 Posts
Maybe a couple of items to consider. I have an '01 750SS ie with a modded exhaust and 1" bar riser you might like. The riser helped this old man's back quite a bit. The header pipe on mine is off a 900SS (2mm larger than the 750) and a couple of cans and mid pipes I found on Fleabay. They sound great without the DB killers that come with them and were available at the time. Mine are stainless and over a year old in this photo. I couldn't find any other pipes worth a damn anywhere so I got these. There are several different styles of cans you could use depending on your taste with pretty good quality and sound if your careful what you buy. If your interested I can send you some links.... I had the valves and belts done on mime at Moto Corsa in Ft Lauderdale Fl but that's a bit of a trip for you. Feracci's in Penn is a great shop if they're still in business. At least that's closer.... Post up a pic of the bike when you get it going.

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Best shot I have of the risers.

Fuel tank Wheel Vehicle Automotive fuel system Tire

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
B58 - My 900ss is one of the earlier belt drive variants (c.1993) so looks slightly different from your later one. Not sure if the top yoke/riser kit from ABM will clear the fairing as well as yours does, but as I intend to ditch to ditch that it's something I'm not worrying about.
Will send pics when project gets underway, i.e. once I get top yoke conversion kit, bars and hoses, exhausts and replacement headlight / indicators. Am currently getting a Honda Valkyrie back on the road, so don't be holding your breath for the photos.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts