Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got an electrical problem on my 996. One morning I went to start the bike, and when I turned the key to the on position, the lights flickered, a relay tattered on and off rapidly, and then nothing. This all happened very briefly. Since then, I've got the lights to flash on twice when turning the key to on, but that's all I get, a flash, then nothing. No fuel pump priming, no dash lights, just no electricity at all. Replaced the battery as mine was old anyways, no luck. All the fuses are good, and I don't notice any corrosion anywhere, but I cleaned up as many contacts as I could anyway. Those include the battery posts, cables, ground contacts, starter contact, and the contacts in the starter switch. Still nothing.

The only thing I changed was the yellow ignition relay by the battery with a standard 12vdc 40 amp relay. However, looking at the diagram in my owners manual, I noticed that the relay they show either activates or deactivates both 87 terminals simultaneously, where as mine switches between an 87 and 87a terminal. Do I have the wrong relay in place? Anyone have a part number if that's the case? And of course, would this cause me to have no power whatsoever?

Seems not as the starter switch provides the power to the ignition relay, correct? If so, any ideas where to go from there? With electricity being my soft spot in my automotive knowledge, this is basically my first real go around at trying to troubleshoot and fix my own electrical problems. I could really use some advice.

*UPDATE* I had the wrong kind of relay for the ignition, replaced with the correct relay. When I turned the key to on, I got a click (sounded like a relay, dont know which one) then my 30 amp master fuse blew (the one on the far right in the fuse box). Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum!

Assuming everything you've done above is accurate and the battery has 12.5v or more, then I'd start by unplugging the voltage regulator entirely and seeing what happens. Sometimes a completely shorted VR will cause no electrical. You may also have a bad ignition switch, it could be intermittent. That's another thing to look at next. Disconnect that harness going down the right side of the frame and spray some contact cleaner in it, then re-connect. That connector can be huge problems because it's not water proof.

See what you get with those tips and get back to us, more diagnosis will help for us.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! I'm not sure why it popped the 30 amp fuse, but since replacing that it's looking promising. Got the tank back on and it was cranking! Though I think my fuel has gone bad, will flush it out. I'm still going to double check for shorts, that first fuse blowing has me a bit worried.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So going through the bike, I've checked the chip in the ECU, no signs of damage or corrosion, no signs of water ever being in the ECU. I've gone through just about every component, fuse, and relay that I could find, and haven't found any issues with anything.

My problem now is that my fuel pump isn't priming. So I double check the two relays under the seat, they are fine. However, when I turn the key on, and the ig.switch to cycle, one relay activates and stays activated while the other relay activates, then deactivates a second later. Could this be a sign of a seized fuel pump?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Yea, it could be a bad fuel pump for sure. Measure the power connection to the pump, make sure it's getting power.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will do. Is there anything I could do to test the pump itself? Could I provide power directly to it with a battery and some wires to see if it kicks on? Or would I risk damaging the pump (if it's not already dead)?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
You could remove the pump from the assembly and using a DC power supply, slowly apply voltage to make sure it spins. The pump isn't too expensive, it's almost worth just replacing due to the age and re-building all the hoses inside that tank + new filters in the process.

The filter is from a BMW 2002 and the fuel pump is from a Fiat.

INTANK FUEL PUMP for DUCATI 916 996 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002-in Fuel Supply & Treatment from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

1 - 7 of 7 Posts