Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, looking for some knowledge and help! I havent ran my ST2 much in the last few months but the battery, although a couple of years old, has been on optimate quite alot. Anyway after doing the chain sprockets, spark plugs ans oil/filter, I took it out for a 40mile spin with no worries. a few days later I was going to ride into work, it took a few attempts to start which isnt uncommon, got to the end of my drive and it died. I tried restarting it and after about the 5th attempt there was a bit of a bang underneath and that was it, when turing the key there is nothing at all, no dash no fuel injection, just dead. I tested the battery and it was putting out 8v, and even the optimate would just click like it wont accept a charge. So i got a new yuasa battery and went about fitting it, connecting the positive to the positive and the negative.....as soon as the negative makes contact it triggers the starter motor, tries to turn the engine over and sparks! This is without a key in the ignition. I am assuming somethig was damaged that went bang. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Need more Info.

Check all ground wires especially the ground cable and ground wire from the ECU.Check all fuse's.I don't know what your trying to say w/ the bit of a bang thing! I'm thinking of some things but check these that i mentioned.

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Check the wiring around the starter solenoid.

You couldn't have connected the starter wire to the battery inadvertently? Or allowed the two heavy cables on the top of the solenoid to touch each other?

If not the starter solenoid might be jammed. Not dear to replace from a wrecker. (It is the cylindrical-shaped item with the two heavy cables mounted with 10 mm hex nuts).

A worthwhile tip for those models is to fit a headlight switch. If you insert the switch into the headlight's earth it should illuminate the high-beam warning when it's off, so you won't forget to turn it on.

With the battery so difficult to access on these the headlight switch saves the battery a lot of work. It should last longer and need charging less often.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers all. I have checked all the fuses and they are fine. The wiring around the solenoid looks fine, as does the ground from the battery's negative terminal. It does look like it might be the solenoid or relay (which I believe is the same thing)
A mechanic mate is popping over soon to hopefully confirm before I start buying parts. I will let you know the outcome. Dean

·
Registered
207 Posts
Cool,Right Action

Fantastic,Starter parts are plenty and easy to work on.Hey Dean would it be possible for you to take some pics just to see the bad parts(s) Good day Sir........Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts