Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding back home which was about an hour. 3 miles from home I stopped and put bike on side stand for an hour.
After visiting with a friend for an hour when I tried to start bike it just cranked and cranked. Fuel light went on and after a minute I got is started by cranking throttle and giving gas.
It missed all the way home and ran on one cylinder I felt with low fuel light on.
After getting home I placed on center stand and let sit for 3-4 hours. When I went to start bike it fired right up and no miss.
Dealer mechanic feels some valve tripped relating to charcoal canister and plug fouled while starting. Then sitting the plug dried out and thats why it did not miss later.
He wants to remove charcoal canister and add some bypass line and connection so it will not happen again and buy adding hose connection oil will not be blowing inside my bodywork.
Can someone explain the connection he wants to add and has anyone else done this?
Thanks

·
Registered
732 Posts
I've had the charcoal canisters removed on every duc I've owned (that had them), before they left the dealer...do yourself a favor and let them remove it - while I can't explain the way they route or plug the lines once used by it, I know removing it solves one big problem:

- gas overflow fills the canister which causes such a strong vacuum that the gas tank implodes (MV, & Ducati have this issue)...bike will most certainly not start :)

- While many other troubles get reported as the canister being the culprit, I can only confirm the tank imploding as the main reason to toss it...hard starting has also been linked to it - your hard start due to a fouled plug makes sense as well

Have them remove it, plug the lines, or do whatever they know to do with the lines and you will be fine

Good Luck with your new R !!

·
Registered
732 Posts
I agree with you 100% - over the years (since the 916 in '94), going from one duc to my next, I would inadvertently confirm that Ducati continues to give us more of what we like in their bikes, while at the same time giving us more of what they know we need....with each model, be it a new version of the 916 (955, 996, 998), the 999, and now the 1199, 1299, Pani-R...they continue their legacy with complete and total confirmation of their roots - I enjoy each and every one them, and rarely look back except for the memory - without taking anything away from the 1299, (for me at least) the 2015R is by far the best one yet....I like it, I love it, I want more of it....and I suspect Ducati will comply !!

Enjoy your R, use that tach, watch those shift lights climb their scale (if you're out there, especially at night)....you're gonna have fun !!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Thanks RD
The dealer is removing it next wednesday.
Just got it back today from being clear taped to protect the paint.
What a great bike. Nicest one I have ever owned.

hopefully not being charged too much for that. I did it myself with zero experience just a general knowledge of how it works and it came out great on my tricolore. I got a die cut set of 3m pieces and it looks great!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.