Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all. First post here so have a few questions blended with tons of spelling errors :D

Been riding rice bunny's for 20 years now and feel its time for a change, been looking at Ducati forums all over but this place seems to be the only place its "safe" to ask silly questions without getting youre head cut off :bash:

This will be my first non jap sports bike and i have a few concerns.
First of all i need to buy used, cant afford a brand new one atm :(

I arranged for a test day at my local dealer on Monday, will test the 848 Evo, 1098 and the Panigale, cant afford the Pan just need to know what all the fuzz is about.....

I ride my bikes pretty hard, also been known to bring my front wheel in the air rather often, i did ask if i could pop wheelies using the clutch on a 848 on another forum just to have almost 100 people trying to tell me how i "should" ride my bike.
So i'll try again, can you clutch these things up? If i understood an article i saw correctly using the clutch to pop wheelies on the 848 will make the engine just die out?

Also living in Norway im abit worried the 1098 will have TO mutch of torque as the asfalt here realy only have max grip maybe 1 month during the summer. On the track thats fine but im on tracks maybe 2-3 times a year.
My current bike is a cbr1000rr and when riding togheter with 1098's or Panigales they find it hard to keep up cause they cant get the grip they want (atleast thats what they tell me)

The only reason i even concider the 1098 is coming from a 1K bike the 848 might be slightly weak (lack of english skills cant explain it better) and ill find myself not liking it at all...
And as i am on a budget reselling a newer 848 will be easier than a 1098 with alot more miles on it.

That bring me to another question, how reliable are these things? are they good for 70-80.000 km? (aprox 50.000 miles).
Maintenance, as easy as on the Honda? Thinking about the easy stuff, oil change, air cleaner, brake pad changes ect.

Im sure i have more dumb questions but i havent had my morning coffee yet so they will have to come after the test drive :)

·
Court Jester
11,817 Posts
Greetings all. First post here so have a few questions blended with tons of spelling errors :D

Been riding rice bunny's for 20 years now and feel its time for a change, been looking at Ducati forums all over but this place seems to be the only place its "safe" to ask silly questions without getting youre head cut off :bash:

This will be my first non jap sports bike and i have a few concerns.
First of all i need to buy used, cant afford a brand new one atm :(

I arranged for a test day at my local dealer on Monday, will test the 848 Evo, 1098 and the Panigale, cant afford the Pan just need to know what all the fuzz is about.....

I ride my bikes pretty hard, also been known to bring my front wheel in the air rather often, i did ask if i could pop wheelies using the clutch on a 848 on another forum just to have almost 100 people trying to tell me how i "should" ride my bike.
So i'll try again, can you clutch these things up? If i understood an article i saw correctly using the clutch to pop wheelies on the 848 will make the engine just die out?

Also living in Norway im abit worried the 1098 will have TO mutch of torque as the asfalt here realy only have max grip maybe 1 month during the summer. On the track thats fine but im on tracks maybe 2-3 times a year.
My current bike is a cbr1000rr and when riding togheter with 1098's or Panigales they find it hard to keep up cause they cant get the grip they want (atleast thats what they tell me)

The only reason i even concider the 1098 is coming from a 1K bike the 848 might be slightly weak (lack of english skills cant explain it better) and ill find myself not liking it at all...
And as i am on a budget reselling a newer 848 will be easier than a 1098 with alot more miles on it.

That bring me to another question, how reliable are these things? are they good for 70-80.000 km? (aprox 50.000 miles).
Maintenance, as easy as on the Honda? Thinking about the easy stuff, oil change, air cleaner, brake pad changes ect.

Im sure i have more dumb questions but i havent had my morning coffee yet so they will have to come after the test drive :)

Welcome!

Yes you can clutch wheelie the 848 its wet just like your others, you can also power it up in first very easy, I've also been told they power up in 2nd and 3rd but not my fat ass. I would caution against sustained wheelies as you will starve the engine of oil and blow the engine.

It's up to you if you think you need the 1098 the 848 has plenty for me and no matter the model they are all torquey.

Reliable this depends on the service / maintenance, you take care of her and she will you. You mistreat her and she will teach you a lesson.

Good luck!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Why not just stay with a Japanese bike? Or if your really into wheelies, build a stunt bike for a few grand with a cage, dented tank, 12 o clock bar etc. That way you can still ride your CBR which is a solid bike and do track days whatever. Then rip around on your 600cc or 750cc stunt bike. It's not worth dropping an 848/1098 or beating the crap out of one. It is more at home at the track.

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Ducati superbikes stem from the DNA of their homologation special or "R" model for racing. No other company builds a purposely designed machine JUST for superbike racing. So when you buy a superbike, its DNA stems from the real race machine. They never really thought about wheelies and the oil pickup is far enough forward on the cases, it could very well become a problem if you do continuous high wheelies like a stunt rider.

In terms of the clutch, the wet clutches can handle it but the dry ones probably can't. The dry clutches have a tendency to slip and all of a sudden grip, which makes doing a wheelie using the clutch, more difficult. So the 848 or Panigale should work no problem with clutch wheelies due to their linear engagement. The Panigale (899/1199) has a much better oil pickup, which fixes the issues of the older bike in terms of oil pickup whilst in a wheelie.

Personally, if doing wheelies is so important to you, that you're scared to even mention it on other forums, perhaps you're looking for the wrong bike. Ducati makes a bike which LOVES to do wheelies, its called the Hypermotard 1100, the old air cooled one. That bike is cheap to purchase, has gobs of torque AND most importantly, you can do wheelies forever. In fact, a lot of people use them for stunting here in the states.

Obviously, KTM makes the "kings" of wheelies; Duke 690 and Duke 1290. Both are designed specifically for bringing that nose up and sliding around like a hooligan. There is so much "stunting" aftermarket available for both bikes, its appears to be the "professionals" stunting tool. I had a Duke 690 for 2 years and its so powerful in the torque department, they had to build in a traction control system to help keep the front wheel down.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Get an 848, put an excellent exhaust on it and you will fully enjoy. The 848 will wheelie with ease, no doubt. Good luck, you will not regret an 848.

·
Registered
82 Posts
"My current bike is a cbr1000rr and when riding togheter with 1098's or Panigales they find it hard to keep up cause they cant get the grip they want (atleast thats what they tell me)"

Your friends are just slower than you are!

How did your test rides go?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts