Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at putting a 200/55 on the 1198 and wonder if anyone else has done the same and felt there was an improvement? This is mainly track use I'm taking about.

I know about the issues of rubbing on the swing arm, had that with the 190/55 thanks to a not so useful tyre change and poor chain adjustment with a dealer...

Solution to rubbing (other than the WSB swing arm - £££) seems to be a 14 tooth front and leaving the rear as 38. There are other benefits and a need to adjust other bits due to increase in wheel base.

As I understand, the 200 should give better corner grip as it's higher/wider, hence flatter on the side. Is that correct? Width is about 5% higher which surely must be good.

Also, how would the effect the TC if at all? Again, I understand that the TC works (mainly on lots of maths) on slip of the rear wheel and matching rotation of the front wheel. The 200 is about 2% larger in dia. Does TC just ignore the size and look at slip of the rear against rotation of the front?

I'm sure this has been done many times before, just can't seem to find the answer.

Cheers!

·
Registered
303 Posts
ISSUU - Ducati Traction Control Explained by Hell For Leather Magazine

Pages 23, 24 and 25. Plus it'll handle like a pig — too much tire for this chassis.
Dunlop and Pirelli don't seem to make a 190 race slick anymore. Dunlop is 200/55 and Pirelli is 200/60. I ran the Pireli 200/60/17 on my 1098S and I really liked it, but I was comparing it to the Pirelli Superbike Pro (inferior tire for racing) in 190/55/17. I then ran the Dunlop NTec 200/55/17, adjusted ride height for it, but I never felt planted. 2nd day I ended up going down (rider in front of me caused issue) but still I dont think I'll run the Dunflop again, just as it's engrained in my brain.

Not sure if you wanted a 190 what choices you have if you do either Dunlop or Pirelli other than a DOT tire?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shazaam,

As always, great information.

Just wondering though, why would it make the bike handle badly? If I set up all the geometry correctly and suspension for my weight with gear on etc, then surely it should give me more corner grip?

I'm not too fussed about the TC, just as long as it's not going to go mental. Ducati say's no for street riding, I assume because of insurance issues and the fact that not everyone out there are capable riders. But they say's it's not great issue for the track - I assume again as we waive all insurance/risk when on the track...?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts