Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
New 748 owner here. Happy to be here. I love my (new to me) Ducati. It's a great 2nd bike to my first love, my 1988 Honda Hawk GT, and a huge step up.

So I am going to replace the belts. The Haynes manual states I should replace the O-ring for the crankcase timing inspection cover, but I can't find one for sale anywhere. I seem to be able to find the other O-rings I need, like the coolant union O-ring, and even the Oil filter screen crush washer was hard to find, but this one seems to be MIA unless I buy an aftermarket pretty one that comes with a new O-ring.

I've searched these forums but get no results. Please forgive me if I've missed it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
28 Posts
You can change the belts without taking of the little cover. Just take out the plugs to enable to motor to turn easily and then just put it in a high gear and spin the rear wheel to turn the engine. With the desmoquattro you just need to line up the 5 marks before taking off the old belts and then make sure they are lined up again when new belts go on. No need to do anything like counting belt teeth or marking with paint

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can change the belts without taking of the little cover. Just take out the plugs to enable to motor to turn easily and then just put it in a high gear and spin the rear wheel to turn the engine. With the desmoquattro you just need to line up the 5 marks before taking off the old belts and then make sure they are lined up again when new belts go on. No need to do anything like counting belt teeth or marking with paint
Thanks Martin. Now that I'm in the middle of it all, I understand what you're saying. Unfortunately for me, I removed the chain because it was a bit rusty. So I used a crank turning tool I got on Ebay for $10 and the dealer had the O-ring in stock as well. I marked the belts anyway just to be 100% sure since this is the first time I'm doing this. I'm now waiting for the special flex socket so I can turn the vertical cylinder adjuster nut. I also need to swing by my local Harbor Freight and pick up a 22mm offset wrench for the adjuster.

This bike was a barn find and was reportedly sitting since 2016 but the license plate sticker reads 2006! Tires look original too. With only 4k on it, I'm looking forward to many miles of fun, and since I live within 1.5 hrs of both Laguna Seca and Sonoma Raceway--I'm excited!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks Martin. Now that I'm in the middle of it all, I understand what you're saying. Unfortunately for me, I removed the chain because it was a bit rusty. So I used a crank turning tool I got on Ebay for $10 and the dealer had the O-ring in stock as well. I marked the belts anyway just to be 100% sure since this is the first time I'm doing this. I'm now waiting for the special flex socket so I can turn the vertical cylinder adjuster nut. I also need to swing by my local Harbor Freight and pick up a 22mm offset wrench for the adjuster.

This bike was a barn find and was reportedly sitting since 2016 but the license plate sticker reads 2006! Tires look original too. With only 4k on it, I'm looking forward to many miles of fun, and since I live within 1.5 hrs of both Laguna Seca and Sonoma Raceway--I'm excited!
It's good to have the right tools. Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts