Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Supersport 750 IE that won't start. It started up once like let it run for 10 minutes to let everything cycle after sitting all winter. I tried to start it the next day but it wouldn't start. Using the cold start lever, it would sound like it was trying to turn over but it just wouldn't catch. Now nothing happens, No sound, no clicking, nothing at all. I checked the battery, electrical components and all fluids but everything was good. Battery is brand new and fully charged.

There is no Ducati dealer or authorized Ducati mechanic in my city to help.

Can anyone tell me what may be wrong? How do I fix this?

Allen

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
Check the kill switch is on RUN

second guess it's the sidestand switch.. do a search here and on MS for bypassing the sidestand switch.

Check the kill switch is set to RUN.

if you have SOME idea what you are doing, try jumping it off your car (providing you have a 12v car).

If you still got zip... check the fuses under the seat

Check the kill switch is set to run

if you got something it's the battery...

If it's still nothing..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check the kill switch is on RUN

second guess it's the sidestand switch.. do a search here and on MS for bypassing the sidestand switch.

Check the kill switch is set to RUN.

if you have SOME idea what you are doing, try jumping it off your car (providing you have a 12v car).

If you still got zip... check the fuses under the seat

Check the kill switch is set to run

if you got something it's the battery...

If it's still nothing..
Shrek,
The battery is new and shows a solid high volt readout. I was able to bypass the kickstand switch. I pressed the ignition button but still nothing happens, no sound of any kind.

I am now thinking it is either the Starter, Ignition switch, or bad wiring. Before the problem occurred, I would press the ignition, the engine would sound like it was going to start but it would never turn over. I kept trying it but the "sound" slowly started to fade. Now it is completely silent when I press the ignition.

I am troubleshooting this by myself with the manual which is quite difficult since I am not mechanically savvy.

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
add also the side stand relay. common issue

What does the head light do when you go to crank the engine?

Just because you have 13+ volts showing on the battery doesn't mean you don't have a collapsed cell and therefore no actual amps to drive the starter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well guys, it took some digging but I believe I found the issue. I tried all the steps everyone mentioned. Aside from a loose starter/ignition plug that kept coming loose, everything checked out fine. The starter plug was so tightly tied off it kept coming unplugged. Easy fix here....At least I could here the engine trying to turn over after that fix.

What I found was, my bikes wiring system had some, well quite a few, wires that were soldered, loose, reconnected, previously fixed, etc. Well I started tracing the wiring system starting at the main unit behind the battery, I found way to many wires that were repaired at some point. After "playing" with the wires (moving them around, removing some corrosion) the bike started up, at least briefly. Sadly, I believe the wiring will need to be completely upgraded $$$$.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts