Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I will soon pick up my very first Ducati, a sexy red 749, and I had a question about belts and the need to replace them ASAP.

The bike only has 2k miles and although the true replacement is not until a few thousand miles more would it be worth pushing up the regular servicing because the bike has been sitting, only doing a handful of miles each year?

As soon as I pick 'er up and get some photos I'll post.

Thanks,
socal_garnica

·
Registered
353 Posts
Use the search function!
Belts should be done without fail every 2 years even if you have done no miles.
The belts on Ducati's have very tight runs that puts lots of stress on them, replacement is easy enough and cheaper than a top end rebuild!

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did a bit of searching but most of them seemed to talk about bikes actively being ridden. This bike has basically been sitting which I am unsure is a good thing or a bad thing. That was more of the question.

Based on the "Two years" comment your vote is for "yes, get it done".

Thanks for the reply - I was worried my first post would go unanswered!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an 06 999 with only 1200 miles. I just got it back from the dealer the other day and they said it was a good thing I wanted to change the belts at such low miles because they could see stress and dry rot on the old belts. Belts on Ducatis are more of a yearly thing not mileage. It only cost me $500 to have a full service including belt replacement at the ducati dealer. Verses paying about $3000 to have the top end rebuilt. Just be safe and have the belts replaced.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Welcome to Ducati ownership. Learning to change your own belts is a must and quite easy. Search the forum; buy the required manuals for your bike and enjoy the peace of mind self mtx brings.

Check out Desmotimes for belts, books, etc.

·
Official Site Vendor
1,032 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same question. 2005 Ducati 749 dark, 1400 miles. Looking to make the Batcycle, to go with my batmobile. Bike is cherry, no mods. Will post photos when finished. Have the UD replicas batman leathers to go with it. Wow, Ducati requires ALOt of service. I used to have two GSXR 750's.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I have an 06 999 with only 1200 miles. I just got it back from the dealer the other day and they said it was a good thing I wanted to change the belts at such low miles because they could see stress and dry rot on the old belts. Belts on Ducatis are more of a yearly thing not mileage. It only cost me $500 to have a full service including belt replacement at the ducati dealer. Verses paying about $3000 to have the top end rebuilt. Just be safe and have the belts replaced.
Don't think belts are a yearly thing.
For the 1098's Ducati says replace at 24 months or 24000 Ks, 15000 Miles.
Old mechanic told me he has seen 60000 on the belts.
I won't be going that long but no need to go overboard either.;)

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just to complete this thread I ended up taking my bike to the *local* Ducati service shop about 60 miles away shortly after posting this. Because the bike was very new to me and I was unsure about belts I kept the RPMs below about 5k and just cruised. The guy ended up changing the belt and checking the valves.

When I went to pick the bike up the guy told me I was lucky to make it to the shop without issue. While that might have been hyperbole he did show me the belt and it had almost no grip on it. He also said the belt was so lose he could nearly completely twist it while installed. The valves on the other hand was perfect and he said there was zero carbon build up.

He told me to change the oil every 2500 miles and check the belts once a year. I should expect to change the belts in about 7500 miles.

His final message was to go out and enjoy the bike! Nice...

·
Registered
353 Posts
Just goes to show, its always worth doing belts on a Ducati when you first buy it, no matter its history!
Preventative maintenance always pays off.
Sounds like you just caught it, well done.
Thanks for posting the outcome too!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just goes to show, its always worth doing belts on a Ducati when you first buy it, no matter its history!
Preventative maintenance always pays off.
Sounds like you just caught it, well done.
Thanks for posting the outcome too!
Sorry for bringing back the dead... But i just purchased a 2004 Ms4r with 7500 original miles. Its been due for a belt change and valve adjustment 5 times over. And current owner bought from an auction (with no knowledge of maint hist). It probably sat before he got it, and it sat for 8 months after... Im going to pull the covers tomorrow (however it idles and runs excellent), just to inspect them. Do you guys have any insight on purchasing the crankshaft "special" tool? I have tons of allen and torx sockets for the job (vw enthusiast), but want to know what i may need special tool wise, and where to get them.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Belts replacement involves nothing special. nice thin open end wrenches help though. You don't need a crankshaft turning tool, put bike on paddock stand and put it in second gear and run wheel to turn over engine!

Reactions: Tuned
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.