Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2006 749 (with 32,500km) died rather suddenly - the voltage regulator was oscillating between 10.8 and 12.8 vdc for a few minutes as I idled through the neighbourhood. My battery was weak but the bike started without issue. Then the engine just shut down like a switch had been thrown.

Now the gauge lights work when I turn the key - except for the green NEUTRAL light, which won't illuminate. The CHECK ENGINE key indicator is flashing. My mechanic's PC will not connect with the system to get a code download. He changed out the VR (as I gather the voltage regulator is often the problem source when these issues arise) - no luck.

His suggestion is the ECU and/or the gauge cluster is the source of the problem. Anyone out there with a suggestion???

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A follow-up question...

The 749 had a race programed ECU installed a few years ago with new Termi pipes - I've been told the ECU should be matched to the gauge cluster - does anyone know about the details around ECU and gauge cluster changes?

Thanks in advance

·
Banned
287 Posts
Have you tried a new battery yet? These bikes WILL NOT run without proper voltage from the battery and from the sounds of it your faulty VR may have killed it. New Batt is the first place i'd look into.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tried a new battery, new VR, and checking out the ground wires....no luck. When the key is turned on the gauges light up - save for the neutral indicator - but the starter won't activate. Bit of a mystery.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE: It doesn't appear to be the ECU or gauge cluster but possibly a short or broken wire in one of the harnesses. Does anyone have experience with harness damage - especially around the kick-stand engine cut-off or neutral indicator circuit???

1 - 5 of 5 Posts