Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed the Ducati Performance/Starlane QS on my 1098; it plugs into the sidestand switch connector to kill ignition when gear selector is activated. Fine and well, but this of course means I can't have a working sidestand switch with the QS installed. I understand this is a race application, but this is a street bike and would like to have both.

So, I attempted a fix: I spliced the pertinent SS switch wires onto the harness, to "piggyback" the QS. When I did this, both the QS and SS switch became non - operative. I tried 2 methods, tapping into both sides of the SS switch connector. Same result both ways.

When I disconnected the SS switch wire taps, the QS behaved normally.

Does anybody have any idea why this may be? Could it be due to excess voltage when both systems are attached to the harness? All ideas welcome.
Thnx, Greg in Houston
2007 1098

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
The sidestand switch is nothing more than a switch to ground. When the circuit to ground is broken, it kills the motor. Since both the SS and QS basically interrupt the circuit to ground, I would think that hooking these up in series should work. In theory.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought so as well. Unfortunately, as I stated above, such was not the case. The series connection caused the QS to cease working and rendered the SS switch inoperable. I was careful to make the exact same connections across the connector as was factory standard.
Greg

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Why do you need a side stand switch for? Just remember to kick the stand up before you take off and problem solved.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In case the spring mechanism fails during a ride and the sidestand drops. That would not be pretty.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
In case the spring mechanism fails during a ride and the sidestand drops. That would not be pretty.
Huh? I've never heard of anything like that happen. How would the spring just fail all of a sudden?? Plus, if it did, that would mean your bike would shut off as you're riding...not sure that I'd want that.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You've never heard of the risk of wrecking due to a dropped sidestand? It does happen, but I'm sure it's rare. I never forget to raise it before I take off, but would be nice to have the safety feature operational at any rate. So, if anybody has any constructive ideas why my situation exists I'd like to hear them. ;-)

·
Registered
436 Posts
By hooking them up in series, neither will work as the circuit is open all of the time, at least until both are activated which will close the circuit. Try connecting them in parallel.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I simply tapped the SS switch into the corresponding leads, trying both sides of the connector. Isn't that parallel?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Ok, measure the ohms across the side stand switch, retracted and then deployed, disconnect, attach Q.S. take same reading (you might need your wife g/f to shift). If there's a difference in ohms, maybe add a resister to the different unit?

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
By hooking them up in series, neither will work as the circuit is open all of the time, at least until both are activated which will close the circuit. Try connecting them in parallel.
You sure about that? I think when the circuit is closed (sidestand up) is when the bike is allowed to run. When the sidestand is down, the circuit is open. When I do track days, I take the sidestand off and close the circuit at the connector with a paperclip. So, hooking these up in series, not parallel, should make them both work, since the circuit will normally be closed until a) the sidestand goes down, or b) the QS senses movement of the shift rod and opens the circuit.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Clarify series vs parallel in this application. I'm tapping the SS switch wires back into the factory connections. Tried both sides of the connector. In other words, I tapped into the QS harness, then the factory leads on the other side of the connector. I also installed the black ground pin and wire from the original connector into the QS connector. I need to have a look again at my work to remember where that ground wire/pin came from, but I did re-pin it so it was active.
So, isn't this parallel? How would I connect the two systems in series in this application?
Thnx, Greg

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I think I have my head around this from looking a the schematic for the bike. We can try the following with some temporary jumpers...

All the stock connectors should be intact. Each AMP connector has a numbers on them for the different wires. Each connector should be a 3 terminal connector.

Connect the #2 from the bike harness to the #2 of the Starlane. Connect the #1 of the Starlane to the #2 of the sidestand switch. Connect the #1 of the sidestand switch to the #1 of the bike harness. This will put the two components into a series connection.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Interesting, and thank u. I'll dig back into this next week and probably contact you for clarification. Much appreciated, Steve. I still have your #.
Greg

1 - 20 of 24 Posts