Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the Ducati 1098s came out i was stunned at how beautiful it was. I bought a full termignoni exhaust, and deck it out with carbon fiber. It is a pretty bike! However, It has only given me headaches and problems!!

The bikes engine siezed up on the highway. It just cut off and wouldnt turn back on. It turns out the shop i took it to for a previous oil change, forgot to fill it back up with oil.(noone knows what happened) After 9 months of waiting, and complete frustration with ducati for not being helpful, i just got it back this year. Ducati paid for a new engine and so it was replaced. There was a thirty day warranty that the shop gave me. First day i rode it home. The bike felt great! After a 30 min drive, i am a mile away from my house at a stop light, the bike cuts off on me. It wont start back up. i dont know if it stalled out. I had to push it back home, which was really fun. We called the shop that replaced the motor and they said it must be the battery. They asked us to bring it back to the shop..again. So the mechanic charged it up and it ran fine. Everyday i rode after that, when i was stopped at light or stop sign, it would randomly cut off. However i realized that if i started it back up after this stall, it would start right back up.

The funny part of the story is this went on for all of the 3 week warranty. After it expired, i was sitting at a stop light in dead traffic, and it cut off on me. Trying to start it back up, praying that it would as i always do, it didnt. So i had to pull the bike into a random tattoo shop and leave it there for a few days until i was able to pick it up.

When i went to get the bike, i wanted to see if it would start. If it didnt, i had a battery tender ready to roll! It started right up though. I rode it home and havmt touched it since. Its a cursed bike and its gonna take my life the next time i ride it! Today i tried starting it and it kept try to start, then i heard a loud pop! It scared me and i dont want to mess up the engine again!

Can someone ease help me figure out what is wrong with my 1098s? I thought this wasnt supposed to happen to nice bikes. I love this bike but frankly not so much lately.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
sounds to me like the dreaded stalling issue (given the information provided). this has been discussed a lot and i have to admit that i'm no expert at it, so do yourself a favor and search the forum for threads about it.

from what i could gather it most probably has something to do with the valve adjustments. you'll come across all kinds of other explanations such as throttle position sensors etc, which might apply to your situation as well.

i guess in the end, if your not planning on reading up a lot and getting your hands dirty, you might be better off taking your bike to someone else.

good luck.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
did you ever have a recall letter from Ducati about the 07-08 1098/848 problems on the actuator or watever it's called. The part was too close to the exhaust and the heat makes the bike shut off on its own.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
it regulates the electrical current coming from the generator. its not a hugely expensive piece of equipment, but the recall, and all bikes manufactured after included a metal heat shield between the unit and the front header. both are located under the battery try if you wanted to inspect your bike. try getting hold of a workshop manual or parts catalog, they shows all the parts and where they are located. the catalog can be downloaded free from the ducati website and some of our sponsors' websites. pro italia has it under oem parts for instance.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Sounds like the Regulator.

If you are not the 1st owner of the bike, check with the original Dealer or previous owner to see if the Regulator has been replaced. They should have a record of this.

The original Regulators are faulty. This item is a factory recall and is a waranty freebee (including labour).

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Sounds like the Regulator.

If you are not the 1st owner of the bike, check with the original Dealer or previous owner to see if the Regulator has been replaced. They should have a record of this.

The original Regulators are faulty. This item is a factory recall and is a waranty freebee (including labour).
+ 1

makes sence

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
The funny part of the story is this went on for all of the 3 week warranty. After it expired, i was sitting at a stop light in dead traffic, and it cut off on me. Trying to start it back up, praying that it would as i always do, it didnt. So i had to pull the bike into a random tattoo shop and leave it there for a few days until i was able to pick it up.

This sounds like your Microswitch(Nr. 19) is broken from your clutch lever!!

When i went to get the bike, i wanted to see if it would start. If it didnt, i had a battery tender ready to roll! It started right up though. I rode it home and havmt touched it since. Its a cursed bike and its gonna take my life the next time i ride it! Today i tried starting it and it kept try to start, then i heard a loud pop! It scared me and i dont want to mess up the engine again!
You need a minimum of 12 Volt to start the bike
I had a problem after the winter to start my bike I had 12 Volt but no amp. One of the battery cells was broken in the winter.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
the recall for the 1098 S regarding the Voltage Regulator is an easy fix by the shop; it is essential that you do this. It places a heat shield between the regulator and the horizontal exhaust. Without this, your bike will fail to keep a charge on the battery, which means it will not restart after it dies. Apart from this, the bike may need a little fine tuning. Dont give up on the bike, as it is just a machine and not affected by Witchcraft.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts