Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All - I’ve run into a bit of a problem and wanted to see if I could get some collective help. I took my 1098 on a legendary ride up US191 in Arizona this past weekend. The bike, as always, was amazing and put the adrenaline into overdrive as we got to the destination. We stopped for a quick lunch and back on the road. While riding along the engine just lost power - like I had hit the kill switch by accident only I hadn’t. Everything seemed fine on the display and after pulling to the side of the highway, the engine would crank but no ignition. It became obvious I wouldn’t be doing the “Devil’s Highway” on my Ducati that day. There was nothing out of the ordinary - no popping, noises or anything else. It was exactly as if the kill switch was hit.

After loading the bike, I started having a sinking feeling that my timing belts may have gone. Thankfully today I was able to verify that wasn’t the case. I’ve read about the 2 year replacement regarding the belts, and despite being at just over 7K miles, have already done 3 sets.

Hopefully there’s something obvious I can check. I’d also like to get a diagnostic tool, however, there’s no apparent CEL on the display. Any advice is beyond appreciated.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for this info. I did a bit of searching and looks seems like it could be the voltage regulator rectifier as you mentioned, although most of the symptoms don’t seem to match what I’m seeing. No warning light, voltage issues or display problems.
Was there a recall for this? Should I replace it with a 999 part as some posts suggested or is there another alternative that’s better?

Thanks again for your help & hopefully this is it.

·
Registered
225 Posts
There was a recall for the rectifier which the dealer can handle. I had my fuel sensor go out and I ran out of gas one time. Did your low fuel light come on?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There was a recall for the rectifier which the dealer can handle. I had my fuel sensor go out and I ran out of gas one time. Did your low fuel light come on?
I’ve only tripped the low fuel light years ago driving back to California with some outdated GPS software - hasn’t happened since. Like I said - there is literally nothing on the bike (visual, sounds, etc) that happened when the engine died. It was just like I hit the kill switch. The only thing I’ve noticed with the bike is it may take a few times to start when cold over the years - usually adding a little throttle twist to it would help. Of course since it died now it just cranks but doesn’t start. I smell gas if I’ve cranked it several times so know there’s fuel through injectors. Zero error messages on the display (e.g. coils, injector, etc) so I’ll be replacing the voltage regulator. Still wondering if anyone has suggestions on the rectifier and saw they were using a 999 part number from the older model. Is this still the best route? I’ve also heard MOSFET. I tried to call Ducati today and left a message for a call back. Maybe they’ll have some recommendations as well. There doesn’t seem to be a recall for the voltage regulator rectifier. At least the local dealer here looked up my bike and said there were zero outstanding recalls for my VIN. Seems weird to me so many people have had this problem and a few posts said it was fixed under recall. Maybe a 2007? Some were 848’s.

I’m inclined to fix this myself and not take into the dealer. I’m debating doing the belts and oil change as well since I have the bike opened up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The freaking thing happened to me, I am about to order a new VR. Crossing fingers that is the answer.
Was it like what I experienced - like the kill switch engaged or did you have anything out of the ordinary? Any ideas on replacement? Some guy bought a replacement on eBay - I don’t know if I’m that brave.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just a quick update to my issue - I verified my Ducati dealer had replaced the VR a while back.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Was it like what I experienced - like the kill switch engaged or did you have anything out of the ordinary? Any ideas on replacement? Some guy bought a replacement on eBay - I don’t know if I’m that brave.
In my case, I was exiting off the highway, slowing down, when it just turn off. Dash was still on, but it wouldn't turn on. I tried clutching in and out, nothing.
I replaced the VR, that didn't do it. So now the bike is being diagnosed at the local dealer. I am crossing fingers it wasn't nothing serious like belt, or valves.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm surprised that no one mentioned to check the fuel pump hose inside the fuel tank. Very common problem! The hose that connects the fuel filter to the fuel pump becomes disconnected from the fuel pump. Happened to me on my 1098R while riding on the highway. Engine just shut off. No check engine light, full electrical power! It would crank, but would not start. I could hear the fuel pump priming, so I ruled that one out. At first I thought that I've ran out of gas, since my low fuel light was not always working correctly and I rode over 100 miles since my last fill up, but it was not the case. When I opened the tank and hit the start switch I could see a little geyser of fuel shooting straight up inside the tank. At that point I knew right away what it was.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm surprised that no one mentioned to check the fuel pump hose inside the fuel tank. Very common problem! The hose that connects the fuel filter to the fuel pump becomes disconnected from the fuel pump. Happened to me on my 1098R while riding on the highway. Engine just shut off. No check engine light, full electrical power! It would crank, but would not start. I could hear the fuel pump priming, so I ruled that one out. At first I thought that I've ran out of gas, since my low fuel light was not always working correctly and I rode over 100 miles since my last fill up, but it was not the case. When I opened the tank and hit the start switch I could see a little geyser of fuel shooting straight up inside the tank. At that point I knew right away what it was.
View attachment 170263

^^ THIS ^^

That's EXACTLY what it is - man I wish you were here a little earlier... I appreciate you helping out and glad to have this solved. Dnepr - you ROCK bro!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So the fuel pump hose actually broke and is also an issue. I was told the hose should be replaced as well as the connectors.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Go to any automotive parts store and purchase submersible fuel line hose. This is what I used to fix same problem on my 1098R. I've installed new OEM style clamps, but you can also use fuel injection fuel line clamps like in the video I've posted in my previous post.

·
Registered
8 Posts
^^ THIS ^^

That's EXACTLY what it is - man I wish you were here a little earlier... I appreciate you helping out and glad to have this solved. Dnepr - you ROCK bro!!!
Same! I got a call from the dealer telling it was the hose in the tank! I’m so glad! Thanks for the info

1 - 14 of 14 Posts