Ducati.org forum banner

281 - 292 of 292 Posts

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Hi everybody,
I'm new to this forum. I'm currently deployed to Afghanistan and have decided that upon my arrival home I'm going treat myself to a new (maybe used) toy as a reward for not getting killed over here...lol.
I stared out on a 06' GSXR600, road that for a few years, had a blast, but I had a few close calls and decided to quite while I was ahead. Figured I'd slow myself down a little and buy a "big kid bike".. So I went Harley shopping and bought an 07' Night Rod Special, which let me be clear I have absolutely no regrets about. I can't have a toy with a motor and not wrench on it, it's in my blood.. And this one is a Harley after all.. So I did a bunch of work on it.. And lastly.. I supercharged the piss out of it.. Now I'm pushing 184rwhp.. The hoe handles better than any Harley I've ever ridden and the power is incredible, I've taken it to the strip a few times etc.
Unfortunately.. I've still got the itch.. While it handles better than any standard Harley, it doesn't hold a candle to that of a sport bike.. So I've decided I need a sport bike too. I also decided I need to invest in something a bit more refined than a Jap bike, thus I found myself falling in love on Ducati's web site. I hope to join your ranks upon my return from the fight, I've only got one issue. If it's not apparent from the. Above statement.. Having built a daily driver 1130cc Harley that's pushing around 200hp at the crank..I'm a bit of a performance junky. So when upon this forum I started reading your posts as a silent observer..and eventually searched "turbo" and to my suprise found nothing save this thread (which let me say was pretty amusing, though I was surprised to find such hostility amongst fellow riders).
So in my understanding, nobody has turbo or supercharged a duke? I know the power is already more than sufficient unless your trying to get to the moon..but that's not he point. I can't have a superbike with less power than my cruiser..that's just not gonna fly.
I was looking at the S1000RR.. But they're just so ugly I couldn't bring myself to do it. The Dukes are sexy but I can't afford the $60,000 model..lol
What's the most yo can squeeze out of nan 1198 with the available mods, ecu, exhaust, cams? I'm new here, any help?
Ahoy!! I too am currently in the asshole of the world...Where are you at? Wolverine here...

Anyway, to your question...the reason behind no one putting a turbo/super charger on a Ducati, is simple. THEY RIDE ONE, and realize that the power between their legs is enough to not HAVE to turbo charge. I own an 1198S and believe me...you dont need more. It already has enough power to break the rear tire off the ground at launch, and if you can keep the rear tire planted, then GOOD LUCK keeping the front tire down. The factory L-twin 1198 motor already produces 170 hp at the crank. Which equals close to 150 rwhp. give or take STOCK.

That also equals a 0-60 time of around 2.4 seconds. That will smoke the $300,000+ Lambo...

ALSO, there are VERY few people that are willing to turn a Ducati into a strait line drag bike...they are out there, but why use a $20,000+ bike to do what a $13,000 Hayabusa is engineered to do?

The Ducati is literally a WSBK (World Super Bike) that has been made street legal with lights. The whole point of the Ducati isn't to stretch it and lower it to make it faster down a drag strip. The dynamics that Ducati has put into racing and ergonomics of their SUSPENSION is what makes a Duc, a Duc. The ability to take that corner faster then the other bike is what makes a Ducati so amazing. Then having the torque and low down launch to beat the others out of the turn...(note the I4's do have much faster top speeds) but in the world of racing that Ducati is built for...there are more turns then there are straits...

It is not impossible to reach the 200hp number, but you better be looking to spend well over that $60,000 you can't afford...pro MotoGP racers reach these numbers; average joe shmo's like you and I don't.

Good luck brother! Hope we both make it back safe!! I also have a redheaded slut to wrench on when I get back home.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi everybody,
I'm new to this forum. I'm currently deployed to Afghanistan and have decided that upon my arrival home I'm going treat myself to a new (maybe used) toy as a reward for not getting killed over here...lol.
I started out on a 06' GSXR600. I road that for a few years and had a blast, but I had a few close calls and decided to quit while I was ahead. I figured I'd slow myself down a little and buy a "big kid bike".. So I went Harley shopping and bought an 07' Night Rod Special, which let me be clear I have absolutely no regrets about. I personally can't have a toy with a motor and not wrench on it, it's in my blood.. And this one is a Harley after all.. so I did a bunch of work on it.. And lastly.. I supercharged the piss out of it.. Now I'm pushing 184rwhp.. The V-Rod (with some suspension improvements) handles better than any Harley I've ever ridden. The was the most Harley has stock to begin with, but now power is incredible. I've taken it to the strip a few times, though I'm no pro (hope to get more into that when I get back too).
Unfortunately.. I've still got the itch.. While it handles better than any standard Harley, it doesn't hold a candle to that of a sport bike, so I've decided I need a sport bike too. I also decided I need to invest in something a bit more refined than a Jap bike, thus I found myself falling in love on Ducati's web site. I hope to join your ranks upon my return from the fight, I've only got one issue. If it's not brutally obvious from the above statements..having built a daily driver 1130cc Harley that's pushing around 200hp at the crank..I'm a bit of a performance junky. So I started reading your posts as a silent observer..then searched for performance mods, and eventually * "turbo", and to my surprise found nothing save this thread (which let me say was pretty amusing, though I was surprised to find such hostility amongst fellow riders).
So in my understanding, nobody has turbo or supercharged a Ducati? I know the power is already more than sufficient unless your trying to get to the moon..but that's not he point. I can't have a superbike with less power than my cruiser..that's just not gonna fly.*
I was looking at the S1000RR...but they're just so ugly I couldn't bring myself to do it. The Dukes are sexy but I can't afford the $60,000 model..lol So what's the most you can squeeze out of an 1198 with the available mods, ecu, exhaust, cams? I'm new here, any help?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wa11er- I'm near JAF near the Pakistan border. Thanks for the insight, I know I get a little ahead of myself sometimes. You made some very good points. The whole reason I want to get back on a sportbike is because I miss/love laying into curves on a nice twisty road.. No real use for 200hp there.. I guess taking my Harley to the track got me a little to into the raw power straight line mentality. Maybe down the road a bit I'll pick up a salvage titled Busa and get silly with it, but for now I've got my straight line rocket (over)Power-Cruiser and need a canyon carver.
      I apologize to everyone about the crappy format of my posts and for having double posted up there, but all I've currently got to work with is my iPhone and spotty reception.. Afghanistan isn't exactly the land of 3G cell service and wi-fi hot spots..lol
    I was reading a review on the 2010 1198S, and the author made a pretty funny statement. He said "using the 1198S as a streetbike is like using a fine scotch as paint thinner"... This got me to wondering, should I really spring for the S model..? I'd love to take it to the track here and there, but it's primarily going to be a weekend rider street bike, maybe commute to work etc (don't worry it's a short ride). Am I ever going to really make use of the upgraded suspension and DTS? Is the DTS worth the extra money? I read that it makes the power much easier keep under control.
    I'm looking forward to joining you guys as a Ducati owner and maybe I'll even ride with some of you someday.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Wa11er- I'm near JAF near the Pakistan border. Thanks for the insight, I know I get a little ahead of myself sometimes. You made some very good points. The whole reason I want to get back on a sportbike is because I miss/love laying into curves on a nice twisty road.. No real use for 200hp there.. I guess taking my Harley to the track got me a little to into the raw power straight line mentality. Maybe down the road a bit I'll pick up a salvage titled Busa and get silly with it, but for now I've got my straight line rocket (over)Power-Cruiser and need a canyon carver.
I apologize to everyone about the crappy format of my posts and for having double posted up there, but all I've currently got to work with is my iPhone and spotty reception.. Afghanistan isn't exactly the land of 3G cell service and wi-fi hot spots..lol
I was reading a review on the 2010 1198S, and the author made a pretty funny statement. He said "using the 1198S as a streetbike is like using a fine scotch as paint thinner"... This got me to wondering, should I really spring for the S model..? I'd love to take it to the track here and there, but it's primarily going to be a weekend rider street bike, maybe commute to work etc (don't worry it's a short ride). Am I ever going to really make use of the upgraded suspension and DTS? Is the DTS worth the extra money? I read that it makes the power much easier keep under control.
I'm looking forward to joining you guys as a Ducati owner and maybe I'll even ride with some of you someday.
The 1198S is not a great bike to go slow on...it is very hot in traffic, lugs a little in the lower RPM's (two big pistons beat you up at very low speeds in places like parking lots) but when you are actually using it to carve through canyons, or riding it for what it is built for then it is hard to beat.

I bought the 2010 1198S and have had no regrets thus far. As far as DTC, I went to a CSS (California Superbike School) class and turned the DTC on for that. When street riding I usually go without TC.

The upgraded Ohlins suspension on the other hand is awesome, and well worth the extra dough. Plus the lighter forged rims.

If you have the money I would say pick up the 2010 1198S in White (if you can find one). Sexy looking bike! Or you could be like me, and go red because it is a Duc. Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I apologize for highjacking this thread, this convo has been continued in "184hp+ 1198?" which I posted around the same time but got a much different responce, both valid. Thanks again.

281 - 292 of 292 Posts